Got a new goat hauler
This is a cool story. Almost unbelievable.

Last year someone posted a horse trailer built for miniature horses for sale on Craig's List. Well just for fun I went out and looked at it. It was very well built. Dual axel. Diamond plate steel all over, etc. Then, deciding I really no use for anything like that, I passed on it.

While at the Rendy, I saw one there being used for hauling goats. It was right then and there that I realized I should have never passed up that mini horse trailer. I lamented about it for a while and then decided to quit feeling sorry for myself and be proactive. So I posted the following ad on CL July 1st...

"There was a woman here locally that had a trailer for miniature horses and ponies for sale on Craig's List late fall of last year. She was having a hard time selling it she said. I went out and looked at it but did not have a need for it so I decided to pass on it. I'm kicking myself now because I do need it now. If she is reading this, and still has it, I would like to buy it"

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that ad would be answered! And I about fell out of my chair when the gal called me up and described it to a T. She said she bought it from the gal who had it on Craig's list. Then it had just been sitting at her place ever since because she never got around to doing what she had planned to do with it. Then she got to laughing. I asked her why she was laughing and she replied that she hardly EVER goes on Craig's List but that day she decided to because she was bored. And when she saw my ad she just had a feeling it was the same trailer. I smiled at her and said "I guess it was just meant to be".

And now my little trailer is home.

There is an old saying...if you love something set it free, etc. I know that's not supposed to pertain to trailers, but...maybe just a little bit...just this once.

Anyway...just thought it was a neat story to well. My boys have a nice shiney ride now.
now that is a great story Smile very nice Sussie and lucky
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
That's so great! You should post a picture of your new trailer. Smile
I should post this under What did you do today but it will work here too. LOL

When I picked up the trailer last night, I gave it a really good look over to see if anything had changed since I saw it last year. But I only gave the tires a quick look. They were up, they were not checked, they looked healthy, so that was the end of that. I had forgotten to bring my 4 flat to 6 round converter for the lights, so I just figured I would use hand signals to get home.

The owners (who were a bit "odd" to say the least) kept trying to convince me that the reason the plate was not on the trailer (it was actually up in the manger of the trailer) and the tags were not current is because it is not required in Oregon due to the trailer's size. Well I have lived in Oregon all of my 52 years and I have never met a horse trailer that did not need tags. Granted I have two cargo trailers and a quad hauler that does not need that. But my other two horse trailers do. So I told myself I was going to take that thing into the DMV, when I took the title in to be put into my name, and I was going to ask them about it.

And so the adventure begins...

I hitched it back up this afternoon and went to plug the lights in and the light wire was about 18 inches too short. "Oh well, thats OK" I said to myself "I pass U-Haul on the way. I'll just stop by on the way back and pick up an extension".

I took it into the DMV and the gal said that in the state of Oregon it does NOT need to be tagged, BUT if I planned to take it out of state like to WA or some place, it would be smart to have it tagged as other state's laws are different. CHA-CHING! $163 for title transfer and tags.

Stopped by U-Haul and picked up a $5 extension and then asked the gal if she would check my lights for me after it's hooked up. So she follows me out and as we are talking and walking she looks up and says "That is CUTE! Where did you get...uh oh...you gotta flat" I looked up...sure enough my left rear tire was flat on the trailer. But that was not the worst! Why did I not notice it last night? Maybe because it was 8:30 and I was in a hurry to get it home? The tires were studded tires....ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!!!!!! O...M...G! That is a severe traffic fine waiting to happen!

So she airs the tire up for me and off I went to Schwabs a mile down the road for brand new tires all the way around. CHA-CHING! $517

Oh brother....

Get home and unhitch it. Parked the Suburban. Walk up to the house and the neighbor sees me, waves and says hi. I walked over to say hi back and the first words out of his mouth...."So...how's your day going?"... I let out a big sigh..."That bad eh?"..."Yeah...Extreme Makeover: Trailer Edition"
I bought a horse trailer from a neighbor for 1K. She borrowed it a few months ago-- It hadn't been on the road for a while so I warned that the tires were getting old, its plates had expired and the lights were iffy. She went to pick up a couple horses and didnt come back till after midnight... so I knew something was wrong.

First, one horse took 6 hours to get into the trailer, while the other walked right in. In his struggles, one of the back door sections was knocked off. Another section up high was bent and had a tuft of horse hair on the corner. Then they got a flat and it whipped around and beat the crap out of the fiberglass fender.

So inspecting the trailer afterwards, I noticed the ramp had totally rusted out and was hanging on by scraps. The mate to the missing door panel was also rusted out. Circle J had made a bad design that caught water, it seems. I've been slowly rebuilding the thing, and I just finished the replacement ramp. Mine is a bit heavier and a thousand times better. Waterproof for one thing. I'm hoping to finish the trailer in a couple months. It'll be really nice, I think, but new tires are going to be expensive Sad And then there's the fact that I dont own a truck that'll pull it... I use my Dad's Suburban which doesnt have the brake and lighting set up for that trailer. I'd love to get an older Dodge diesel, but alas, no funds. Ah well. Finishing the trailer will turn it from useless to an asset.

The neighbor never really showed up with any helpful money or anything... Its true most of the problems were due to rust and sun rotted rubber, but sheesh.

I'll take a picture when the project is done!
(07-18-2014, 10:56 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: I bought a horse trailer from a neighbor for 1K. She borrowed it a few months ago-- It hadn't been on the road for a while so I warned that the tires were getting old, its plates had expired and the lights were iffy. She went to pick up a couple horses and didnt come back till after midnight... so I knew something was wrong.

First, one horse took 6 hours to get into the trailer, while the other walked right in. In his struggles, one of the back door sections was knocked off. Another section up high was bent and had a tuft of horse hair on the corner. Then they got a flat and it whipped around and beat the crap out of the fiberglass fender.

So inspecting the trailer afterwards, I noticed the ramp had totally rusted out and was hanging on by scraps. The mate to the missing door panel was also rusted out. Circle J had made a bad design that caught water, it seems. I've been slowly rebuilding the thing, and I just finished the replacement ramp. Mine is a bit heavier and a thousand times better. Waterproof for one thing. I'm hoping to finish the trailer in a couple months. It'll be really nice, I think, but new tires are going to be expensive Sad And then there's the fact that I dont own a truck that'll pull it... I use my Dad's Suburban which doesnt have the brake and lighting set up for that trailer. I'd love to get an older Dodge diesel, but alas, no funds. Ah well. Finishing the trailer will turn it from useless to an asset.

The neighbor never really showed up with any helpful money or anything... Its true most of the problems were due to rust and sun rotted rubber, but sheesh.

I'll take a picture when the project is done!

Yes. Circle J got in the hot seat for a while as trailers you avoided due to that design. Even had a problem with bad floors. A friend of mine lost a horse due to the bad flooring. The floor fell through while she was traveling down the road and tore the horse's front feet off. I have a Circle J Stock/Combo but its a 1997. The ones that were bad were the ones made in the 70's.

Trailer tires really are not that much. I told Schwab to put on the best they had and they were only $517 for all four.

By the way I tow with a Suburban. A 1985. Still runs like a champ.

My new mini trailer is made by Hale. Its a 67. If I can remember right, Charmac bought them out some time ago. My other horse trailer is a 69 McQuerry. They were a company in Texas that did not last long but man oh man did they make a good trailer!
How come nearly every "good deal" ends up being a much bigger project than expected? I can think of only a few "bargain of a lifetime" deals that turned out even better than expected. Two that come instantly to mind are Cuzco (the best $25 we've ever spent on anything), and our livestock guardian dog, Daisy ("free to good home").
Well I was actually planning on putting bigger wheels on it to raise it higher. I just did not expect to have to do it 16 hours after I got it. But it sure is nice.

Just for fun a did a little research into that particular model and year. Due to its rarity, it's worth about $3500 on the market if I was to put it on the internet for sale. Since I only have a little less than $1500 into it already. I will not complain. The next step is going to be having the bearings greased. But that is just regular maintenance on any trailer. I try to take the best of care of anything I own. You actually save money in the long run.
Found my trailer on Craigslist also. Bought it immediately sight unseen. Have never regretted it. After 2 flats I put 8 ply tires on. Fits 3 big goaties boys and has 2 feet of storage up front. Interior is 5' tall, 4' wide, and 8' long

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

VERY nice. Mine does not have windows on the sides but I am going to have those added by a local trailer repair place.