wanted in Colorado: 2+ packers - older, smaller, does, etc considered
Hi all,

New packer here, been watching and learning for years, avid deep backcountry fisher/hunter/hiker with two dogs who pack with me, and now have a 4 month old son to bring with me so ready for the plunge this year since I can't carry it all.  Looking for two or three packers, open to ideas other than everyone's top request "200+ lb wethers" because with a baby and two dogs I value disposition above size.  I'd rather have a couple smaller (still packing size), or older, or slower, goats who are kind and gentle puppy dogs and easy going and easy keeping. Looking to pack game eventually but most use will be for long backpack/fishing trips, not repeatedly pulling out bull elk from 10 miles in kind of thing (been shifting to birds more the last several years because I'm sick of deboning and killing myself anyways lol). 

All other applicable packgoat things like structure, disease testing, apply so this is not a dumping place for goats that you wouldn't be proud to own yourself, but as said, I'm open to goats who don't fit in with your string's size or pace, are maybe a little past their prime and still enjoy going without being loaded to the gills (I'm fairly ultralight), or even big does with all above requirements.  I'm personally attracted to horned crosses like Alpine/Ober but that is really a lower priority option and would go hornless if awesome otherwise.

Located in Northern Front Range and willing to drive/meet reasonable distance.  Looking to bring them home in a few months, say late spring or early summer.

Thanks all   Smile
Isabella
I agree-- Personality is the most important thing for people that hike for fun. I rarely load-down my goats to the max anyhow. Usually they carry water and first aid and emergency stuff like pancos and spare batteries for the camera etc.. Friendly, willing goats are more fun unless you're a hunter or something or planning on bringing 5 days of supplies-- Then you want grouchy, aloof but giant goats.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
(01-18-2022, 08:52 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: I agree-- Personality is the most important thing for people that hike for fun.  I rarely load-down my goats to the max anyhow.  Usually they carry water and first aid and emergency stuff like pancos and spare batteries for the camera etc..  Friendly, willing goats are more fun unless you're a hunter or something or planning on bringing 5 days of supplies-- Then you want grouchy, aloof but giant goats.

As a solo backpacker and bivvy hunter, I can pack 8 days of supplies in under 25 pounds on my back, so any of my future goats will be getting it easy I'm sure lol
I have three registered Nubian yearlings (1wether and two bucklings that I can wether on request.) already started with an empty pack at first and now carrying water, paper plates and plastic silverware. Obviously we haven’t been hiking much the past two or three months due to weather but they spent all of their lives going goat hiking without packs and later with training packs. They have been involved in goat yoga, goat snuggling, walks in town…etc. they lead easily, stand tied, pick up feet, load in a trailer or car easily. EXTREMELY FRIENDLY and no bad habits. Current on healthcare and dehorned. Ready to go to their new homes because it’s time for my new little guys to be born.