Help! My goat won't get up!
Hmm... how odd that he seems normal and comfortable and has a good appetite but just won't get up. It can't be the thistle. My goats love to chow down on thistle, and something he ate several days ago isn't going to make him get sick now. He'd have been sick within 24 hours. What happens if you try to force him to stand? Can you do it? You might have better luck diagnosing the problem if you and your husband can work together to try to hoist him to his feet. Then you'll know if he's capable of standing or sitting and how hard it is for him (if he can do it at all), able to walk, can only walk a short distance, etc. If you hoist him up you may get a better idea of "where it hurts" and whether this is a vet emergency (sounds like it is).

As long as he's not moving, you should definitely try to get him under shelter and get some bug spray on him. You may have to drag him on a tarp if he can't walk. He can't stay out in the sun. You may also post your question at thegoatspot.net. There are a lot of knowledgeable goat people there who may be of better (and quicker) help than our smaller community. Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Help! My goat won't get up! - by Gretchen Buhler - 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by Nanno - 07-10-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by Teckelhut - 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by oldfarmer - 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM