Help! My goat won't get up!
We have a 5yr old Sannen. My son has been feeding him this week morning and night and I have been going out occasionally in the middle of the day to check on things and make sure they have enough water. My goat loves to lounge and lay his head back to rest on his horns, so when I went out in the middle of the day and would see him lay there, I didn't think much of it. Some of the other goats (we have 4 more) would be laying down too.

Yesterday morning I went out to feed and take him on a walk and noticed he didn't come for the food like the rest of them. I could not get him to stand up. I took all of the other goats out of the pen. He looked a bit skinny. I feed him hay which he ate, water with electrolytes which he drank and some calf manna and alfa pellets that he also ate. I gave him some digestzen and wild orange essential oil w/ some sugar water for an upset stomach. He loved it. His temp read 101 which I figure is close enough to normal, his respiration is normal (until I try to move him then he breaths more heavily), his rumen sounds good 1-2 sounds per min. He seems alert and responsive. I rubbed down his legs, shoulders, neck, back. Nothing seems broken or wounded. He's not wheezy sounding and he is not bloated. I also gave him some apple cider vinegar in case of kidney stones, but I'm not sure if it's that because he has not made any noise to show his discomfort.

Problem is I can't get him to stand up. Any ideas?

My husband said all the goats ate some thistle weed he was digging out of the ground a few days ago. Could that have made him sick?

Thank you for your help

Gretchen
Hmm... how odd that he seems normal and comfortable and has a good appetite but just won't get up. It can't be the thistle. My goats love to chow down on thistle, and something he ate several days ago isn't going to make him get sick now. He'd have been sick within 24 hours. What happens if you try to force him to stand? Can you do it? You might have better luck diagnosing the problem if you and your husband can work together to try to hoist him to his feet. Then you'll know if he's capable of standing or sitting and how hard it is for him (if he can do it at all), able to walk, can only walk a short distance, etc. If you hoist him up you may get a better idea of "where it hurts" and whether this is a vet emergency (sounds like it is).

As long as he's not moving, you should definitely try to get him under shelter and get some bug spray on him. You may have to drag him on a tarp if he can't walk. He can't stay out in the sun. You may also post your question at thegoatspot.net. There are a lot of knowledgeable goat people there who may be of better (and quicker) help than our smaller community. Good luck!
If it was me, I would call the Vet. A goat that refuses to get up for long periods is a sick goat.
Vet him. Haste!
Any goat that is down overnight needs a vet. The rumen can be compromised as can the cirulation in the legs making it impossible for them to get up again.
Don't want to scare you but there's something seriously wrong that needs diagnosed by a pro.
(07-10-2014, 10:02 AM)Gretchen Buhler Wrote: We have a 5yr old Sannen. My son has been feeding him this week morning and night and I have been going out occasionally in the middle of the day to check on things and make sure they have enough water. My goat loves to lounge and lay his head back to rest on his horns, so when I went out in the middle of the day and would see him lay there, I didn't think much of it. Some of the other goats (we have 4 more) would be laying down too.

Yesterday morning I went out to feed and take him on a walk and noticed he didn't come for the food like the rest of them. I could not get him to stand up. I took all of the other goats out of the pen. He looked a bit skinny. I feed him hay which he ate, water with electrolytes which he drank and some calf manna and alfa pellets that he also ate. I gave him some digestzen and wild orange essential oil w/ some sugar water for an upset stomach. He loved it. His temp read 101 which I figure is close enough to normal, his respiration is normal (until I try to move him then he breaths more heavily), his rumen sounds good 1-2 sounds per min. He seems alert and responsive. I rubbed down his legs, shoulders, neck, back. Nothing seems broken or wounded. He's not wheezy sounding and he is not bloated. I also gave him some apple cider vinegar in case of kidney stones, but I'm not sure if it's that because he has not made any noise to show his discomfort.

Problem is I can't get him to stand up. Any ideas?

My husband said all the goats ate some thistle weed he was digging out of the ground a few days ago. Could that have made him sick?

Thank you for your help

Gretchen

I have the exact same problem today. First time this has happened. My vet says the goat may be in shock from an event or stress. Catatonic. She says to keep her warm and isolated and wait it out for another day or so.
You really shouldnt be putting food into a sick goat. Need to focus on getting him to stand and need to keep an eye on his poop and pee. If you have to have a few people over to help, get him to stand. Can even set him on a bale. Check to see if he has been peeing. If you know someone who smokes, can get him to stand, let him smell the smoke off a cigarette. That should make him pee on the spot.

A downed goat can be caused by so many reasons that even a goat vet would be hard pressed to give a reason why. Could be pneumonia, stones, a blockage in his intestines, accumulation of small things like lack of minerals and supplements and vitamins, heavy load of worms...
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)