For Sale: Goat-O-Rama George
George is the only prospective packgoat kid we have to offer for sale this year, and I have to say he is probably the nicest. He has the perfect combination of athletic conformation combined with a friendly but not pushy personality. George is very leggy and correct with a rangy build that suggests he will grow into a large, strong goat built for endurance. George is 3/4 Alpine, 1/4 Nubian. George will be four months old on Sept. 3rd. He has been vaccinated and banded and is ready to go any time. 

Our herd is CAE/CL/Johnes free and tests results are available on request. 

If anyone is interested, I am also selling a 3-year-old doe in milk, a dry yearling, and a 2020 doe kid (Sunflower) who I think would make an outstanding packgoat mother. Sunflower is from my leggiest, most correct doe and from the same Alpine sire as George. 

I can be contacted here or at 719-489-2732. Please don't text. It is a landline! Smile
Pics of sunflower?
Matt
This is Sunflower. She's barely five months old and she's HUGE! She's half sister to George (same sire). She's should be bred this year instead of waiting since she'll soon be as big as my yearlings. She could even be bred to one of my bucks since they aren't related. She's a very good-natured doe with a friendly, curious personality.  

Alpine/? Where are you located?
Matt
She's 3/4 Alpine, 1/4 Nubian. She looks Alpine but with slightly larger ears and better feet (although not quite as good as Nubian feet--she gets a little splay from the Alpine side but it's not bad). I'm only asking $150 because I really need to downsize my herd. She's ADGA registered and my herd is CAE/CL/Johnes free. I'm located in Rye, CO (southeastern part of the state). Sunflower should have a nice udder too.
Good looking goat. I was hoping there was no Nubian in her. I will have to pass, they talk a little bit to much and not a fan for them packing. Thanks for answering all my questions quickly.
Matt
If it makes any difference, this doeling has never been vocal, and when she does occasionally baa, it's with a soft, quiet voice. She did not inherit the Nubian scream. Sunflower's mother (1/2 Nubian) rarely vocalizes and doesn't have the Nubian scream either, so that particular Nubian trait was not handed down on this line.

I don't want to pressure you or anything, but if you're looking for a packgoat dam prospect, you can't go too far wrong with Sunflower. Her offspring would only be 1/8 Nubian if she's bred to an Alpine. Personally, I prefer higher percentage Nubian in my packgoats, which is one reason I'm selling this doeling. Nubians tend to have nicer feet and legs and tougher hooves than any of the Swiss breeds and I really like my Alpine/Nubian packgoats. Nubians are more muscular and in my experience they tend to be easier keepers, which is something I particularly value in my does. I don't like high maintenance girls that require tons of grain and alfalfa to keep weight during lactation. Sunflower looks like she will be an easy keeper. But if any percent Nubian is just a deal-breaker I understand. For me, any percent Boer is a no-go. We all have our prejudices. Wink
George and Butterfly are actually rather quiet. But Oscar and Felix (.25 alpine, .25 nubian, .5 tog) are rather loud. Why? Oscar and Felix were bottle babies and they're only loud if they see me come out of the house and they think I might just have a treat for them. So its more about learned behavior in their case. Barry Goatalo (.25 nubian, .75 alpine) started out a little loud as a baby because he was new and felt alone, but now he's huge and wonderful, and sounds like a sick cow softly moo-ing its last moo when he does make any noise. What I hate are the real screamers that pull their cheeks back and belt out as loud as they can. None of mine do that, thank goodness.
I don't drink beer, but if I did, I'd prefer Dos Equis.  Stay thirsty my friends!
(10-25-2020, 05:15 AM)Charlie Horse Wrote: George and Butterfly are actually rather quiet.  But Oscar and Felix (.25 alpine, .25 nubian, .5 tog) are rather loud.  Why?  Oscar and Felix were bottle babies and they're only loud if they see me come out of the house and they think I might just have a treat for them.  So its more about learned behavior in their case.  Barry Goatalo (.25 nubian, .75 alpine) started out a little loud as a baby because he was new and felt alone, but now he's huge and wonderful, and sounds like a sick cow softly moo-ing its last moo when he does make any noise.  What I hate are the real screamers that pull their cheeks back and belt out as loud as they can.  None of mine do that, thank goodness.

My only one who pulls his cheeks back and belts it out is Sputnik (5/8 Nubian), which in his case sounds more like a ROAR because it's so deep. He doesn't vocalize very often now that he's grown, but when he does decide to yell he raises the roof! It came in handy at Rendy 2017. The campfire was out when we went to bed but someone added paper to it and it started smouldering around 1:00 a.m. When Sputnik smelled smoke he screamed loud enough to wake the dead. As soon as I got up to fix the problem he settled right back down. Sputnik's mother was 1/2 Nubian and was the same way. She was usually quiet, but boy when she came into heat you could hear her scream from half a mile away: "I NEED A MAA-AA-AANN!!!"   

Our noisiest goat right now is Ziggy who is almost all Alpine, but she's basically a "bottle baby". Her mother rejected her so we had to go out several times a day and hold mama to let Ziggy nurse. She associated us with food right away and it made her extra super friendly, but she's also a lot more vocal when she sees us coming even though she's been weaned for quite a while now. I definitely think dam-raised kids are always quieter than bottle babies no matter what breed they are. The good news is that most of them grow out of it eventually. In general it seems like the Nubians don't necessarily talk more often than other goats, but when they do they are exceptionally LOUD. The crosses are a toss-up. About half of them inherit the Nubian voice and the other half sound like Alpines.
How much are you asking for George?