Goats and Bits
Nice! It's a good start. Just move your goat forward in the shafts and then they won't be too long any more and your whiffletree will be further behind him.
Footman loops are easy. Just buy a pair of deck loops/eye straps from your hardware store and bolt them to the bottom of your shafts. They look like this:
https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Straps-Sta...B07VXT1K8Q
Awesome!

I'm worried the shafts are too short. How far back on the chest can I get away with, or do the shafts have to stick out past the goats chest?
They don't necessarily need to stick out past the goat's chest. The main thing is to make sure the ends aren't poking him in the shoulders when he turns. This is why shafts are usually designed to curve outward on the ends.
(08-20-2021, 02:36 PM)Nanno Wrote: They don't necessarily need to stick out past the goat's chest. The main thing is to make sure the ends aren't poking him in the shoulders when he turns. This is why shafts are usually designed to curve outward on the ends.

Oh I see. I'll bend the ends out then.

How much space should I give between the wiffletree and the goats legs? I'm thinking 12 inches seems to look good but when they are running will the be enough?

Also, does it matter how high up the shafts go on the goat? I'm thinking of bending them down so they run straighter horizontally along the side of the goats body