8th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - Utah!
We spent a very nice night in the B & B where we were very happy to be able to shower after three days of camping in San Rafael. But it was only one night because the B & B was booked on Saturday, so Phil and I took the opportunity to go on our first overnight goat packing trip together! I'd picked a very easy and straightforward trip for our first overnight--just something to dip our toes in. Clark, our host at the B & B, had offered to drop us off at the Escalante River trailhead about 15 miles outside of town. He would then drive our truck back to the B & B and park it there while we followed the river trail back to town. It was the perfect overnight hike with water all along the way, an excellent camping spot at the halfway mark, a clear and well-traveled trail, nice natural formations and Indian artifacts to see along the way, and almost no elevation changes. The weather was slated to be perfect. I was excited to embark on my first "real" goat packing experience with Phil, even if it was going to be a super easy one.

It was probably the ease and obviousness of the hike that put me off my guard. Phil and I had explored both ends of this trail on previous trips but had never hiked it through. I had read a trail description three weeks earlier when planning the trip, but the Swell vacation kind of obstructed my view of all that was to come after so I didn't prepare. At the time I thought, "It'll be fine... I'll review the trail the night before at the B & B, I'll ask Catherine (our hostess) for some details, and we can always pick up a trail map at the BLM office when we get our overnight camping permit."

Phil had gone by himself to get the permit while I packed our panniers and I had forgotten to mention getting a map and trail description. Catherine is a wealth of excellent information about all the trails in the area, but she had a full house that morning and there was no time for me to ask questions over a leisurely breakfast like we usually do. Nonetheless, I was brimming with confidence as I struck off down the trail--in exactly the wrong direction. Phil expressed his doubts. The woman at the BLM office had mentioned something about hiking the trail upstream, which sounded familiar to the trail description I had read too. But the description had also mentioned going under the highway bridge and seeing the ruins of an Indian granary up on the cliff. We'd crossed under the bridge and there was the granary, so surely we were going the right way! Maybe the stream was going the wrong way? Phil and I argued back and forth a little bit until I said, "Well, better safe than sorry." So we turned back toward the parking lot to look for a trail sign. Good thing we did!

The sign was on the opposite side of the parking lot from where we'd unloaded so we hadn't even seen it. I love Lake Powell, but I didn't bring my water skis on this trip!

Phil found an amusing slogan written on the bridge. If you don't get the reference, read this and be sure to watch the "Body Massage" video linked there.

Once we got going the trail looked very familiar. We had been here in 2012 with Cuzco and Nibbles on our first trip to Escalante. We had crossed under the bridge to view the Indian ruin on that trip too but had been advised to turn back and explore upstream, which was the essential part of the trail description I had forgotten. We crossed the creek many times. Finn and Sputnik were reluctant to get their feet wet at first. It had been a long time since they'd had to cross water, but it quickly became routine on this trip.

I loved this huge boulder with the crack down the middle, but I couldn't persuade either of the goats to share my interest.

It's difficult to see because it blends into the rock, but there is a huge natural bridge here. It looks like the entrance to a giant's castle.

This is the view from beneath the bridge. It sits very close to the rock wall behind it.

There was a small jug handle type arch further on.

The varnish on the cliff walls was amazing.

The trail was often difficult to walk on. The sand was deep and lined with stickers. Phil had a particularly hard time with stickers getting under his sandal straps and we kept having to stop so he could remove them. We found it was generally easier to just walk up the river.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8th Annual Hassey "Goat Vacation" - Utah! - by Nanno - 10-15-2019, 11:09 AM