GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell
Thursday was the day I had been waiting for since the last trip to the Swell in 2016.  I was going to see Wild Horse Window I hadn't been able to see then.

After some scouting Herb and Nan decided we should hike from our campsite to the Window instead of starting at the trailhead.  The hike from the campsite would entail less climbing.  Off we went.  We walked in a wash, up and across sandstone hills, crossing small ravines and cracks in the sandstone along the way.

This is where I have to admit I finally met my match.  My heart does not process oxygen like it should but the doctor said exploratory surgery to find out why is more risky than living with it.  I'm usually able to pace myself and not have too much trouble.  I ended up lagging behind and it was a real struggle at times to keep going in between numerous breaks.  I was bound and determined to make it to the Window or die trying.

Here's a photo I took on the way up.  The views and scenery were so pretty.

I made it!

Once I rested I saw the beauty of the cave.  The Window (which is shaped like an eye), the pictographs, the view looking down the hills to the desert floor.  It was worth the climb.  Everyone was gathered in the cave visiting and exploring.

Here is a photo showing most of the rocks we painted.  Some were hidden on the way to the Window, some around the caves and some on the way back to camp.

I hope the ones Debbi and Connie painted of Bacchus are still there the next time Herb does this hike so he can find them.  He had a real affinity for them.

The trip back to camp was a tough one for me.  Herb stayed with me the entire hike.  He even saved my life when we were crossing a ravine between two sandstone hills.  I lost my balance on the last step across and his arm was there to keep me from falling!  Nan backtracked from camp to check on our progress when we were about 1/2 mile from camp.  In spite of being exhausted I was finding uniquely colored and shaped rocks while we were walking.  My Dad was a rock hound.  He would have loved this area.

I cannot say enough about how wonderful Bourbon is.  He stays with me no matter where I am or what I am doing.  In camp and on the trail.  I used him to lean on and help pull me along a couple times on the Window hike.  He acted like he'd been doing it all of his life.  At 5 years old he's at the beginning of his prime packing years.

Back at camp I took a much needed rest.  Connie & Robert napped, Eldon & Debbi headed out for a drive around the area and ended up having dinner in Green River.  Herb, Nan & Phil hadn't had enough hiking so went on another hike above camp.  Oh, the energy of youth! Smile 

That night was our last night in camp.  Our new "family" would be heading their separate ways.  After dark, under a starlit sky, Phil serenaded us with his fiddle.  He is so talented!  The goats seemed to enjoy it, too.  What a wonderful end to a spectacular trip.

Herb headed home because he didn't have anyone to do his morning chores at home.  The rest of us turned in.

The next morning we all said our goodbyes and headed back to "the real world."

I'll never be able to bake enough of my chocolate pumpkin seed cookies to thank Herb for all he did to make this trip one of the most memorable of my lifetime.

Goatberries Happen!

Messages In This Thread
RE: GROUP HIKE! -- One Week In The San Rafael Swell - by Taffy - 10-06-2019, 02:51 PM