Recurring infection mystery
    So I have this recurring infection that pops up every few months on either their eyes or around their nose.  Strange part is that I have 10 goats who all live together and the only ones who get this are all from the same generation. Nobody else in my herd ever shows even the slightest sign. I’ve had them tested for orf  which came back negative. Any ideas or experience with this? Thank s.
How odd. Any chance it could be mites? The only other thing I can think would be zinc deficiency. I'm not sure why either of those things would only affect one generation of goats though. Are they related?
you write from one generation? How old are they in relation to your other goats?
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

(06-10-2019, 08:22 PM)Nanno Wrote: How odd. Any chance it could be mites? The only other thing I can think would be zinc deficiency. I'm not sure why either of those things would only affect one generation of goats though. Are they related?

Thanks for the replies. Yea I thought maybe some sort of parasite or something but you’d tthink they’d all have it.  My herd ranges in age from 1 to 4 yrs old and it’s only my three yr olds who get this. They’re all related in some way but not very closely.  This one who’s pictured here I also have his dad in my herd who has never gotten it before.
Hmm... it's possible it is genetic. I almost wonder if something could have happened to that crop of kids that somehow affected their immune systems at a young age or even in utero. A mineral imbalance, exposure to the wrong chemical at the wrong time. I'm kind of grasping at straws here. It is odd that it only affects those three from that generation even though they are not closely related. Have they seen a vet? A vet might take a skin scraping and look for parasites under a microscope or they might know of a vitamin or mineral imbalance that could cause this symptom.