Goat Needs Psycho-Analysis! Anybody got that Shingle??
No, herd leaders do not have to be bullies. My herd queen is actually quite gentle and rarely picks on anyone for no reason. It sounds like your doe is very super-protective of babies, and this is a good thing! It's unfortunate she's vicious to others though. I'm not sure what to say except that she probably saw the wethers as being a threat to the babies in her care. In her defense, young goats 1-2 years old (both males and dry females) are the ones most likely to hurt and bully young kids. You doe may know this by instinct. It's also possible she thought the older "kid" would try to nurse on her again (and maybe he did try but you didn't see?). If he was trying to steal milk at this age, or if he made any sexual advances, then she was justified in attacking him.

I'm not sure I'd want to get rid of a doe with such a strong protective instinct. She may be a pain, but you know she'll look after the kids, who of course are the most vulnerable members of your herd. You'll probably have to keep her son separated from her at least until her kid is weaned. After that, she may be more tolerant of him. By then your wether may be big enough to at least hold his own against her as well. It would be nice if the doe could settle down to being a strong herd queen without being outright vicious. How old is she?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Goat Needs Psycho-Analysis! Anybody got that Shingle?? - by Nanno - 02-22-2019, 10:18 AM