Winter camping with goats? Coats or no coats? Anyone using horn insultion at all?
Quote:Also have you ever hear or seen anyone make a really horn insulating system for a goat and is one even needed?  To be clear I am not talking about some dumb knit crap with dumb pomp pomps.

What!? I want to see pom-poms! It's not cool if it doesn't have pom-poms.

Goat coats can help keep body heat in at night. Cuzco slept in an igloo when it was -20 in Vermont one Christmas.

Yes, it was very cold that night, but he did just fine. We lined the bottom of the snow shelter with hay so he could bed down and stay dry.  

Evergreen boughs are a good idea for bedding them down on the trail. What do you plan to feed them? Roughage, more than anything else, is what keeps a goat warm when the temp. drops real low. Chewing their cud is like activating their internal furnace. I don't see why they shouldn't do just fine in 0* temps if they're in good condition with thick coats, well-fed on the trail, and you're able to keep them sheltered from the wind. 

I wouldn't worry about "horn muffs". Many wild animals with horns live in cold climates. The closest thing I've done to that is I made Cuzco a pair of earmuffs when we lived in Lake City, CO. It got to -20* (not counting wind chill), and there was no shelter (other than a few trees) on the ranch where he and my horses lived. His ears got frost-nipped around the edges so I sewed him some ear protection. He loved them!  

Messages In This Thread
RE: Winter camping with goats? Coats or no coats? Anyone using horn insultion at all? - by Nanno - 12-06-2018, 07:57 PM