One Success, One Utter Failure OnTrimming Hooves
We use a large stanchion for extended trimming sessions for our big boys, just makes it easier. One time I had to tie rear legs as well with soft straps as I was by myself and I'm not particularly strong.  I have also purchased a pneumatic mechanic's stool with a soft padded top - I removed the wheels. I slide this under their knee to support front leg when trimming front hooves and under belly (raised higher) for the rear hoof trimming.  Just gives them extra stability and they fidget/fight less.

Also, this summer one of my goats injured his leg on the trail. We were able to walk him out, I called the vet and he ended up giving my goat valium via IV to do the exam - the goat dropped like a stone within seconds and we could have easily trimmed all 4 feet at that time.  He was just a bit punchy initially when he came out of it, staggered around a while like a drunk.  So as a last resort that would be an option, altho there might be some danger of injury to your goat's bad leg when he went "under" if he dropped awkwardly.

Good luck!

P.S. They do make a "sheep chair" - sydell, premier 1 - for hoof trimming and other ministrations. I can't imagine tipping a large animal backwards into one but.... I guess that's another option!

Messages In This Thread
RE: One Success, One Utter Failure OnTrimming Hooves - by Kat - 11-04-2018, 05:29 AM