Two 2 1/2yo Nubian Weathers... could they be pack goats? Would like opinions!
After more than 16 years of breeding, raising and training seven different Full Blood breeds and quite an assortment of hybrids and at one time having 53 working Packgoat wethers, I can "NOT" discount the Nubian breed. Out of 4 Full Blood Nubians I have had, one, "Jake", I would rank in my top 5 of "All Time", and I can say I "Never" heard him make a sound his entire life. He was "Great" ! Wish I still had him. His Partner died unexpectedly at 2 yrs. but was also great upto that point. A third one, "Cole", is currently 2 yrs and is also doing very well, a keeper ! The 4th one, "Chief", was pretty much worthless as a Packgoat. But "Chief" did not come to us until he was 2 yrs old, which probibly contributed to his worthlessness. I have also had a number of worthless Packgoats from almost all the other breeds too.
I have had a number of Full blood Boer Packgoats, All of them "extremely well bred" and long legged. I have "Never" had one that didn't do a really good job. Very powerful, with good endurance and excellent behavior. Great in the UP & Down. They are followers. I sold four of my "Best" Packgoats to Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus last October. One of them was "Valintino" a Full Blood Boer (grandson of Pistolaro, a National Champion). We "Adored" him !
Granted, some Nubians can be a challenge, and will always be followers when Packing with Alpines, Obers and some other breeds, but thats OK, you need followers too.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Two 2 1/2yo Nubian Weathers... could they be pack goats? Would like opinions! - by Dwite Sharp - 06-03-2014, 08:30 PM