Today's Training: Our Breeding Buck About to Go Eunick/Pack Goat
I'm glad your first walk with Sprite was a success! I wish I lived closer. I'd help you trim those hooves. I've had to trim a few big, wild goats over the years. I put on a well-fitting halter, snub their head up short and high to a stout post in a solid fence, and then I squash them against the fence with my body while I trim the feet. I've had some that put on a real rodeo, but I got those feet trimmed. I like to keep treats in my pocket as well so if they calm down for even a little bit I can reward them for it. They learn pretty quickly that it's easier to submit and be rewarded for it than to keep fighting a losing battle.

If I were you I would tie Sprite up as described, then work on just picking up his feet one at a time and rewarding him for it without trying to trim them until he's much calmer. The wild goats I had to trim all belonged to other people so I wasn't able to take the slow, calm, daily training approach. I just had to wrestle those beasts and get it done, but you don't have to do it that way.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Today's Training: Our Breeding Buck About to Go Eunick/Pack Goat - by Nanno - 09-25-2018, 07:24 PM