3 days above Hyas Lake
Kat,
The nose to tail hitching is the only way I can move all three goats without loosing my mind, expecislly with gear on.  They would be all over the place.  I made my set up with easy to adjust hitch ropes that can be as short as I want or abour 5 ft long.   When we first start out I will hook then short, so even if they wanted they cant get even to the middle of the goat in front of them.  Then as everyone finds there groove I give tgem the full length, especially when crossing small abstacles.  If you want to see my set up I posted it in the Equipment and Techniques for the Trail section under DIY easy goat pack train.

To be honest I have never tried high lining goats.  I feel like find good trees would be hard.  I have two concrete form posts that I use as my low line anchors.  I just the post attached to two saddles at all times and through the lowline rope in a pannier.  Pritty easy to set up.  Also on my lowline rope I already have 3 prussik loops tide so I can just hook the guys lead rope to that then adjust there placement and spacing to what ever I want very easily.

I dont know if you fish or eat fish but I tried a new reciepy up there that turned out awesome.  My friend is gluten free so I had to use cornmeal as the base for my batter.  What we did was catch and clean the fish.  Then on one side of the fish's spine we cut all the ribs and some of the back meat all the way to the tail.  The reason for this is to try to get the fish to lay down sa flat as possible in the pan.  Then we through the fish in a gallon zip lock with the corn meal, peperika, cummin, salt, pepper...... what ever you like and shoock them around until very well coated with the cornmeal mix.  The pan,  I was using a 12" aluminum dutch oven over a whisperlight on "low" (whisperlights dont do low very well) with cabout a quarter stick of butter melted in the bottom.  One the butter got up to frying temp I just layed 1 fish in.  It took about 3 minutes per side and the fish was cooked through with golden crispy skin.  Then we did yhe same yo the other fish.  The last and most important this is to bring a can of white wine with you.  At this point you dump half half that can of wine into the butter and fish leavings that are left in the pan.  Let that reduce for a minute, dont burn it then dump that on the trout and squeeze half a lemon on top.  Boom, sick!!!  I really dropped the ball not taking picture, but I did not bring my phone and I was to lazy/ hungry to walk over to my pack and get my camera.

I love cooking out doors.  The first night we had cornish game hens with potatoes, carrots and onions.  The second morning we had a solid batch of corn tortia Megas.  All in thst Aluminum dutch oven.

Messages In This Thread
3 days above Hyas Lake - by Mike - 07-30-2018, 11:18 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by goatzrule - 07-31-2018, 11:26 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Kat - 07-31-2018, 02:06 PM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Mike - 07-31-2018, 10:38 PM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Kat - 08-01-2018, 06:54 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Mike - 08-01-2018, 07:44 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Kat - 08-01-2018, 08:29 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Perry - 08-01-2018, 09:46 PM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Kat - 08-02-2018, 05:02 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Mike - 08-02-2018, 07:37 AM
RE: 3 days above Hyas Lake - by Deborah Haney - 08-02-2018, 08:37 PM