Packing pedigree
I think if the conformation and attitude are something you like, breed to it! You want to look for a big, strong buck (I know, they're ALL big and strong right!?) who moves nicely and has a nice personality. He should look level and well-balanced with a strong back, long, strong legs, well formed hooves, and deep shoulders. He may be a bit unmannerly this time of year, but he should not be mean or unmanageable. The fact is, there are not that many goats out there with a specifically "packgoat" pedigree so there's not much sense looking for one unless you know of a breeder or two in your area.

As far as bottle vs. dam-raised kids, that's a controversial subject and some folks are adamant that all packgoats MUST be bottle raised in order to be friendly and bonded to people. I disagree and none of my packgoats are bottle raised. In fact, two of the least friendly and least bonded goats in my herd were bottle raised before I got them. They were bonded to food but not to people and had to be trained not to be skittish. The trick to raising friendly babies is to spend lots of time with them. They will enjoy playing with you and getting loves and scratches and will learn to bond that way.

Messages In This Thread
Packing pedigree - by Namlots - 11-15-2017, 01:06 PM
RE: Packing pedigree - by Nanno - 11-15-2017, 06:02 PM
RE: Packing pedigree - by Namlots - 11-15-2017, 09:37 PM
RE: Packing pedigree - by Nanno - 11-16-2017, 06:45 PM
RE: Packing pedigree - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 11-17-2017, 10:19 AM