showed aggression.
I wonder if it would be helpful to have the kids feed the goats treats through the fence for a while before letting them go in the pen together. I personally do not let small children walk near loose goats any more than I would let them near a loose pony or donkey. The goats are big and quick and toddlers are small and slow with poor reflexes. When we have kids that size near the goats, I make sure I'm standing with the kids so I can intervene. If the kids want to pet our big horned wethers, I halter the goats for control and safety just as I would halter a pony in that situation.

I don't think you were wrong to take your goat down for going after your kid. Mama goats go after herd members that show aggression toward their kids. No one messes with the boss goat's babies! Carrying a water pistol could reinforce this from a distance. But before laying down the law with the goats, I would first try to get the kids and goats to make friends through the fence and then with a halter so at least they are familiar with each other in a controlled situation. If the goats still want to go after the kids after that, start laying down the law with a water pistol, shouting, hand clapping, or whatever it takes to let them know that they don't mess with your kids (or anyone else's either). Hopefully your goats will learn that they get treats and loves when they are friendly, but they get chased off if they are rude. Let us know how things turn out.

We don't have kids of our own, but I've been very intentional about introducing our goats to kids in a controlled environment and making sure those interactions are pleasant. So far our goats seem to love children. But right now with rut in full swing, our big wethers are completely obsessed with the does and have been a lot more careless around people on our walks. I've been keeping a sharp eye out for any aggressive behavior toward people and especially small children. If a goat so much as looks sideways at someone I'll go after him with a stick or I'll throw pinecones at him to make sure he knows that I saw his rude glance and that he's not allowed to "protect" his girls from humans of any size.

Messages In This Thread
showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-06-2017, 03:23 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by Nanno - 10-07-2017, 09:35 AM
RE: showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-07-2017, 02:29 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by Perry - 10-07-2017, 03:25 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-07-2017, 04:07 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-07-2017, 04:17 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by Nanno - 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by Nanno - 10-07-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM
RE: showed aggression. - by sagetrecker - 10-13-2017, 02:28 AM
RE: showed aggression. - by Nanno - 10-13-2017, 08:47 AM