Possible new tailor made Goat Mineral Mix for the NW.
I have been talking with Boardertown Feed in Milton Freewater, OR. about having a custom tailor made goat loose mineral mix made and so far have been received very well. Now I have been asked to see what kinda of volume they would be able to sell (to see if its even worth the effort). So I let them know I could get the word out and see how much interest there would be in it. Between myself and another breeder I think we would use 2-3 tons a year. Her use is higher as she runs many more goats then we do.

I have been researching mineral mixes, the actions of minerals and the needs of goats for the last few months. Nothing in-depth but enough to have a good understanding what what is needed and why. Here is the analysis of the mix.

Calcium 12%-16% (would prefer 16%)
Phosphorus 6%-8% (would prefer 8%)
Magnesium 5%
Sulfur 5%
Salt (naCl) 20%-25%
Zinc 5000-7000 ppm
Copper 3000 ppm
Iodine 500-800 ppm
Selenium 90-100 ppm
Cobalt ??? ppm

Vit A 500,000 IU/lb
Vit D3 250,000 IU/lb
Vit E 1000-2000 IU/lb

This mix would be able to be feed to any goat breed, sex or wether. The 2:1 balance and the lower magnesium with wethers in mind. With this mix there should be no reason to copper bolus or bo-se boosters other then maybe pre breeding season (as long as consumed as expected).

Milton Freewater, OR. is located in the Northeast corner of the state right on the state line with Washington (Walla Walla area). At this early stage in the discussion, possible shipping and costs to do so have not been discussed. But am looking for feedback from not just locales. Would you pay a reasonable price to have this shipped to you? What are you paying now for 50 lbs of mineral mix and if you are having it shipped, how much for that as well?
We are currently paying about 28.00 per bag of the premix we get from them and drive the 150 mile round trip to do so. Buying at least 6 bags at a time. I have family in Walla Walla so gives us an excuse to stop by and visit. Another good thing, Oregon has no sales tax.

Here is a blurb from an email I responded to whom Im speaking with at boardertown feed:

Just about any thing on this analysis can be fudged a bit. But there are some key things. All goats need a 2 to 1 Calcium to Phosphorous ratio. This is not just the ideal but at this balance helps to prevent urinary calculi in bucks but especially wethers whos urinary track development is halted when castrated.
The lower Magnesium of 5% vs the 10% in the winter/spring mix also falls into this area. Higher magnesium is another factor in urinary stones. At 5% its ideal for all other goats and still low enough to be given to wethers. Along with breeding and raising dairy stock, we also raise and sell pack goats. Pack goats are typically castrated between 3 and 5 months of age to help with urinary track development. And as stated, development halts at castration.

Here is a blurb about Sulfur:
The major biological function of sulfur is as a component of sulfur-containing amino acids. Therefore, sulfur is important in protein synthesis, milk and hair production, enzymes, hormones, hemoglobin, and connective tissue, and is a component of the vitamins biotin and thiamine. The major deficiency symptoms include poor animal performance, hair loss, excessive salivation, tearing of eyes and weakness. The major source of sulfur is protein which contains sulfur as a component of some of the amino acids. Therefore, sulfur is important in diets where nonprotein nitrogen -- for example, urea -- is used to substitute for some protein. Sulfur-containing mineral blocks are often used for control of external parasites in goats. So as you can see very important. The typical amount seen in other mixes is 5%-6%

Salt levels in mixes are pretty random but going by what a few of the better ones have and your winter/spring mix as a guide, I put it at 20%-25% but this is can fall anywhere around this area. I have see as low as 5% (to low) and as much as 49% (to high).

Zinc is a major immune builder and virus fighter. And works the same in goats as it does with humans. The better mixes have anywhere from 4000ppm to 7500ppm. Your winter/spring mix is very nice at 7000ppm but even as low as 5000ppm would be good.

Copper is one of the two major minerals that goats need. 3000 ppm is the ideal. Which is the level it is in your winter/spring mix

Iodine is important for the development of healthy kids in goats. It aids in the unborn kids brain, lungs, heart and hair follicles, and contribute especially to survival of the newborn kid. It also lessens the chance of new kids getting pneumonia. A common goat killer. And as the dam can not pass it on to the kid from the reserves in her thyroid gland, she needs access to it while pregnant.

Selenium is the other major important mineral that goats need. Low levels of selenium can cause a large number of issues but most notably with bad kiddings, dead kids and retain placentas. It is also very important for the mom to have good levels to pass onto new borns. Without it kids are almost assured to develop white muscle disease, bent and or oddly bowed legs and other bone issues. But selenium by itself doesnt work. It needs Vitamin E with it so the body can absorb it. Thus why you give new born kids Bo-Se. It is also very important come breeding season. Bucks will produce more semen and does will be more likely to take on the first breeding and its thought to produce more eggs/babies. We breed 35 does this year and outta those 35. We had 16 sets of triplets. Remember, we raise dairy goats. So triples although non unheard of, not that common. The year before. We had 13 sets.

Cobalt. Its really not now how much a ruminate animal needs but its important that they have it. Animals dont store cobalt so they require it daily. Here is a blurb: The only known animal requirement for cobalt is as a constituent of Vitamin B12, which has 4% cobalt in its chemical structure. This means that a cobalt deficiency is really a vitamin B12 deficiency. Reduced liver stores of cobalt are considered indicative of a dietary cobalt deficiency in ruminants (McDowell, 1992) and its measurement is generally considered sufficiently responsive to changes in cobalt intake to be of diagnostic value in cobalt deficiency (Smith, 1987). Microorganisms in the rumen are able to synthesize vitamin B12 needs of ruminants if the diet is adequate in cobalt. Normally, cobalt is not stored in the body in significant quantities. The small amount that is stored does not easily pass back into the rumen or intestinal tract where it can be used for vitamin B12 syntheses. Therefore, ruminants must consume cobalt frequently in the diet for adequate B12 synthesis. Injected cobalt is ineffective. The fact that injected cobalt is ineffective agrees with recent research which suggests that cobalt deficiency in the rumen may be more important then a vitamin B12 deficiency at the tissue level.

As for the Vitamins. I only know from what I have read and what other better mineral mixes have in them. Other then knowing the Vit E will help with selenium absorption. Thus the reduction from whats in your winter/spring mix to 85-100 ppm of selenium. Because with the boost from the vit E, not as much would be needed.

So any comments are welcome.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)
I know I would be interested. Way to do your research Dave! Smile
That's an awesome in-depth analysis of minerals and what they do! I'm not sure at all what minerals we have/don't have here on our soil except that I know there are dangerous levels of selenium in some spots. I lost a horse to selenium poisoning a few years ago when I boarded her at a friend's house, and Cuzco used to lose all the hair on his back every June when the weeds came in. His hair stayed in for the three years when I took away his minerals in late spring. Cuzco lost his hair again last summer when I left the loose minerals out for everyone. I thought my mama goats should have them. None of the other goats lost hair though, which is kind of weird. I kind of wonder if Cuzco has a high selenium "build-up" in his body that the other goats don't have yet. Anyway, since the selenium problem I haven't let my horses have a mineral block again. They get plain salt because every other type of mineral mix contains selenium and they already lose enough hair in their manes and tails every summer.
Ya on the map you look pretty high. Thats a tough spot. To find a mix that has almost no selenium but has other minerals high enough to warrant buying. As for the rest with the hair, it may need a few years to build up a high enough level to start effecting them.

http://tin.er.usgs.gov/geochem/doc/averages/se/usa.html

Yeah, looks like my county (Pueblo) is like one shade below darkest blue on that map. The goofy thing about selenium is that even in this selenium-rich area it mostly exists in concentrated pockets. Hay cut from the same field can have too much selenium in some bales and hardly any in others. Thankfully it's not usually found in hay. It is in the sub-soil, not the topsoil, which means that plants with shallower roots such as grass don't contain as much selenium. Certain weeds and legumes, on the other hand, have much deeper roots and are more prone to carry toxic levels. Prolonged drought causes even the grass roots to go deeper for moisture and that's when we see high selenium content in hay and grass pasture.
Dave, that is an awesome mapping system! How on earth did you find it?
Goatberries Happen!
Boredom and a computer make an evil combination Smile

I like that you can click on your state, hover over your county, click it and get a good read out of minerals. The high magnesium in this area is kinda crappy as well.

AND WOW Nanno, up to 5.6 ppm of selenium in your county... thats top of the scale.

Ok heard back from the feed store. She had sent me a read out of the mix and a price per bag but it never got to me. So she will be sending the analysis for my final approval. Price per bag is pretty sweet at just 25.00! Thats 5.00 cheaper then we are paying now for the premix we get from them. The bad thing is, they have to order 3 tons to save on the freight fee but there is a 1 ton minimum they must order. She said she could combine it with their winter/spring mineral mix order but they are stocked up on it and dont anticipate needing an order of it till this winter.

So, I asked on the freight charge for just the one ton just to see what that would push the cost up to but let her know I would put the word out to see how much would get sold right off the bat. They will not ship, so that would fall to me. Ill contact some companies to get shipping prices. So if you are truly interested, please post and let me know where you are and how many bags. Thanks.

I could bring a good amount to the rendy for anyone who wants to save on shipping. Id add 5.00 per page to bring it.

Oh ill post a copy of the analysis once I get it.

I am sure we would start off with two bags Smile
Good good. If anyone wants Barb from Boardertown feed email address to show there is interest and to maybe send a thank you, just let me know. Might grease the wheels a bit Smile