Where to Start
Hey, I am just learning about goat driving/pulling. I would like to train my wether to pull a wagon. (I don't plan on driving him, but rather will be walking beside him as he pulls.) He's only 8 weeks old, so we're a long, long way from pulling a wagon. Right now he and my doeling are learning to get used to a halter. It looks much like the sopris halter, except I made them out of ribbon and craft rings. It's just to start getting them used to annoying straps on their faces. Smile Where can I find good information on carts or wagons for them? The only goat specific one I can find is from Caprine Supply, which doesn't give me much variety or choice. I plan on subscribing to the goat tracks magazine and ordering the past issues on CD. Are there any other resources you can recommend? Or any other online forums or groups?
Hello and welcome! 

I'm the main goat driver around here. Goat Tracks is my favorite source for articles. Unfortunately, there aren't many resources out there for goat drivers. There is a bit of information here: http://www.harnessgoats.co.uk/ 
Team Snazzy Goat is another resource: https://www.facebook.com/Team-Snazzy-Goa...373542862/

I find that harnesses and carts made for miniature horses usually work for large goats with a few modifications. You can also put shafts or a tongue on a regular garden hand wagon found at any home improvement store. 

Eight weeks is very young to start halter training. Make sure to be very careful when leading because goats that young still have delicate necks and halters can put too much torque on them. I personally prefer to use a collar until they are 4-6 months old, well grown out, and used to being led. 

It's very easy to teach a goat to pull if you're just leading him. Ours started out hauling water to their pens on sleds in wintertime. The main thing is to spend the next couple of years training your goats to walk nicely with you on a leash, leave home willingly, and desensitize them to various unfamiliar sights, sounds, and places. It's a lot of fun, and I wish you the best of luck! 

This is my team in action:

(05-09-2017, 06:10 PM)Nanno Wrote: Hello and welcome! 

I'm the main goat driver around here. Goat Tracks is my favorite source for articles. Unfortunately, there aren't many resources out there for goat drivers. There is a bit of information here: http://www.harnessgoats.co.uk/ 
Team Snazzy Goat is another resource: https://www.facebook.com/Team-Snazzy-Goa...373542862/

I find that harnesses and carts made for miniature horses usually work for large goats with a few modifications. You can also put shafts or a tongue on a regular garden hand wagon found at any home improvement store. 

Eight weeks is very young to start halter training. Make sure to be very careful when leading because goats that young still have delicate necks and halters can put too much torque on them. I personally prefer to use a collar until they are 4-6 months old, well grown out, and used to being led. 

It's very easy to teach a goat to pull if you're just leading him. Ours started out hauling water to their pens on sleds in wintertime. The main thing is to spend the next couple of years training your goats to walk nicely with you on a leash, leave home willingly, and desensitize them to various unfamiliar sights, sounds, and places. It's a lot of fun, and I wish you the best of luck! 

This is my team in action:

Thanks for the links. I'm not doing any leading with my babies right now. The harness is made out of ribbon and Velcro. We're just working on putting contraptions on and off our face. My little girl stands perfectly still as I slide the harness on. My little boy is another matter.

Thanks for the video. Are there instructions available online or in book form for converting a utility cart or pony cart to a goat wagon?
Nice. Once your kids are old enough to enjoy treats, it should be pretty easy to get them to accept having their halters put on. Some kids start liking treats at a month old. Some don't get into them until they're six months old or so.

I once saw some instructions online for making shafts for a wagon, but it was years ago. You could try some Google searches. I know the same article was in an old issue of Goat Tracks, so that might be an easier place to look once you get those back issues in. Some of it is just trial and error and seeing what you have laying around and what's available in your local hardware store. I'm reconfiguring the team pole for my wagon and I'll get some photos sometime.

Depending on the size, a pony cart might work well for a large goat without alteration. If it's slightly too tall, you can usually fix that by buying smaller wheels. If the shafts are too far apart you could probably bend them as long as they are metal.
It's so fun seeing a person in a cart driving a willing pair of goats around the road. Someday i hope to get there.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
It takes time and patience but it's very rewarding! If you've never driven before, I encourage you to look around your area and see if there's someone who drives horses who could teach you some lessons. Driving is similar to playing a musical instrument. It takes proper technique, good timing, and "feel" which can only be developed with practice.
I haven't taken lessons but know how delicate the training is. I have a neighbor training a 2 year old morgan to ground drive around the neighborhood. I have to say I wasn't interested until I saw miniature horse scurry, and combine driving but that looks like so much fun! Of course goats aren't much interested in going fast through water and around cones.
Today we stroll the neighborhood, someday we'll climb mountains together..  Heart
Oh, I don't know... I had a goat go pretty fast through water with the cart once. Tongue