Figuring Finn
Awesome time working with Finn and Phil today! I was planning to start Phil out practicing with Sputnik, but Phil really wants to work with his buddy Finn, and he also wants to watch me work Finn so he can see the training process. 

Once again, Finn came right over to be haltered and he jumped happily into the truck. This time he did not cry for Sputnik on the way out. Finn stood nicely for harnessing and hitching without being tied. I only had to correct him for moving one time. He started out a little bit pouty, which means he was slightly reluctant to take treats. But I surprised him today. Not only did I have animal crackers and peanuts, I also brought some sweet feed as a special treat when he was being extra good.

I started out in the driver's seat so Phil could watch how I handled that initial "I don't want to leave the truck" phase. I always use a cheerful "walk on" voice and a light tap on the hip strap to get him moving, but when Finn hesitates or tries to turn back I follow up immediately with a sharp tap so he knows we're not playing the stubborn game. One sharp whip cue is better than a dozen nags. If a driver slowly increases the intensity, the goat will hold out to see how far you'll go, and by the end of it you've created a battle of wills. Finn really didn't need much encouragement today though. He struck out nicely and my biggest complaint was that he kept trying to go off the road. I decided that rather than keep nagging at him with my left rein, it might do him good to walk in the ditch and see how he liked it. The ground is mushy and the grass is deep there, so the cart doesn't roll very nicely. Finn got into the ditch twice before deciding for himself that it was easier to stay on the pavement. I really like it when they train themselves! 

Once Finn was going well, I turned the reins over to Phil and had him practice. Finn went nicely for Phil, but I was able to see some trouble spots. Rein length was one of them. Phil likes to hold his reins too long, so instead of feeling gentle guidance from the reins, Finn is subjected to sudden jerks and pulls as Phil takes up the slack to turn and stop. Keeping light but steady rein contact is important. Being able to shorten one or both reins quickly and then lengthen them again is also important and takes practice. However, with some instruction and after one or two failed attempts, Phil had Finn successfully executing loopty-loops in the road. They also practiced stopping and starting, which of course is Finn's weakest skill. I had Phil back Finn up every time he started without being asked. I even had them work on it while I walked ahead, which was difficult for both of them, but they eventually did well. We even had the opportunity to work through a "spookum". I was in the drivers's seat when a shiny new real estate sign flashed out of the bushes as we went by. Finn dodged left and skirted way around it (but didn't balk--good boy!). However, when I turned him around so he could get a closer look, he did balk. Rather than try to drive him toward something scary, I got out of the cart and we walked up together. I fed cookies and the sign suddenly became quite ordinary and I think Finn felt rather silly. 

The rest of the drive was uneventful, but I could tell Finn was enjoying himself. He'd started out ho-hum, but after a short time he was responding well to the aids, and he had a bright, cheerful, interested look in his eyes. I'd been sad to see Finn dragging his feet when pulling the cart because he's usually such a perky guy who picks his feet up high when he walks. Today Finn's feet were dancing, his ears and head were up, and his tail was bobbing nicely instead of tucked into his bottom like a sorry dog. By the end of the drive he was gobbling up treats and looking for more. We ended by driving past the truck and on down the road as if starting on second trip, and this time Finn did not try to stop or turn toward the truck. There was some wistful looking at first, but once we got going on our second loop, he chirked up and was ready to take another trip around and have a good attitude about it. I was very impressed, and of course I stopped him, got out, rewarded, and walked beside him on the way back. 

Oh, and as a final note, Finn jumped through the small hoop today and yesterday. He didn't do it very well, but the fact that he tried it and even succeeded a couple of times was good enough for me. This is the goat who wouldn't even attempt the big hoop for the past year, let alone look at the small one. It's a tight fit for a big goat with wide horns, and Finn really has to duck his head down and tuck his feet up to clear it, but he can make it if he puts in the effort. Good boy!!  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by DownUnder Gal - 01-18-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-18-2017, 11:33 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by IdahoNancy - 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-19-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
RE: Figuring Finn - by IdahoNancy - 01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM