Figuring Finn
Finn is 2 1/2 years old. 

I worked with Finn again today and we did pretty much the same routine as yesterday only it went much better! First off, Finn was easier to catch. He didn't come running when he saw me approaching with the halter, but he didn't take off either. We worked a few tricks on the patio and once again he was distracted by Cuzco's breakfast crumbs. But I popped his bottom every time he turned away from me and pretty soon he forgot about the crumbs and stayed interested in what we were doing. He jumped through the hoop on the second try and jumped through enthusiastically by the fourth. I haven't given Finn the "lie down" command in a long time and I have to say, Phil has him trained to this one very well! I said "Lie down, Finn" and he plopped himself right down on the patio floor and stayed there until I asked him to get up--even when I walked to the other side of the patio and fed treats to Sputnik! 

Finn didn't walk off this time when I brought out the harness (good indication that yesterday's lesson ended on a good note). I like to harness without tying up, and Finn was pretty good about it. He needs work on staying put when I say "whoa". He's excellent at stopping, but not so good at staying. If I took too long fastening something on the harness he would start to walk off toward anything that looked interesting (more Cuzco crumbs, the bark on the firewood, his reflection in the window, etc.). We need to work on patience. 

Once on the driveway, Finn started balking right from the beginning. Yesterday it took him a while to resist, but today he thought he might as well get it over with right at the start and see if I still insisted. I did insist, and I had to lead Finn a short way before he would agree to move out front. But once he got there he was really good! I had a little trouble every time we stopped. I'd go to his head to reward, and as soon as I tried to move back behind him he would take the opportunity to turn back toward home. Each time we stopped I had to start him by lead-driving and then drop back as we walked. Toward the end of the driveway he began to understand that turning toward home was not helping his cause and he improved. I took him up the road a short ways and we trotted a little. After we turned back I drove him past the driveway entrance and although he looked toward home he did not stop or make any sudden nosedives. He was a very good boy and he got lots of praise and treats. His eyes lit up this time with that old interested glow that they used to have and he eagerly took peanuts and animal crackers. No sulking at all! 

Finn was pretty strong at first on the way home. I'm driving him in a halter to avoid hurting his mouth in the event that he fights with me, so there was some putting his head down and leaning at first. But I practiced the whoa command a lot and he began to back off on the reins after a while. We had trouble with the waiting part of the whoa. He stops beautifully every time, but on the way home he would take off the second I began to drop back to my place behind him. We worked on that, and I started backing him up to his original spot every time he would barge forward. Finn is a quick learner and by the time we neared the top of the driveway he was mostly waiting for me to give the "walk on" command before continuing. We practiced weaving back and forth and I was even able to turn him back down the driveway a few times without much trouble. 

On our walk afterwards, Finn came several times when I called--something he has not done in quite a while. He wasn't perfect, and sometimes he ignored me as usual, but I liked the improvement. Sputnik has gotten to where he races across a field and leaves the herd behind when I call him and I'd like Finn to be that eager. Finn used to be that eager, and I told Phil that he should call Finn and give him a treat frequently throughout our walks. Lots of treats won't help his figure I'm afraid, but it should certainly improve his attitude. Of course, it also helps that we're now using treats he really likes. I'm hoping that with a few more lessons and a bit more active engagement by both Phil and I, Finn will regain his interest in being with us and learning new things. I especially want him to bond with Phil again.

Messages In This Thread
Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-17-2017, 01:18 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-17-2017, 01:36 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by DownUnder Gal - 01-18-2017, 06:12 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-18-2017, 11:33 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by IdahoNancy - 01-19-2017, 03:56 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-19-2017, 05:56 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-19-2017, 07:16 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-20-2017, 11:33 AM
RE: Figuring Finn - by IdahoNancy - 01-20-2017, 05:07 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-20-2017, 06:34 PM
RE: Figuring Finn - by Nanno - 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM