Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon
I like some of your points and even agree with some. Being a dairy goat breeder for 15+ years and my other half over 20 years, we have dealt most goat diseases and illnesses. Having spent the better part of that time on a commercial sized dairy farm. And as for goats being able to pass it onto sheep, I dont know. From everything I have read, there is no study to say they can. And just as you mentioned, at some point we may very well have to change our direction of attack.

Here is my thinking. I know some diseases and illnesses transfer from goat to sheep and from sheep to goat. They are close enough in genetics for it to happen but far enough apart the the disease or illness often has to go through a slight transformation. A mutation if you will, in order to do so. And if it is ever proven that a transfer can happen and the chance for them to transfer it is easy, then I believe the first thing that needs to be done is to protect the wildlife. If that means closing the forests, then so be it. But the facts must be in place and open minded solutions discussed. Such as the pneumonia vaccine that is already available for goats and sheep. If it could be adapted to be used as a booster each outting to prevent transmission, then there would be no need for a closure. But maybe like a day pass, a piece of paper showing proof of the vaccine. A certified vet certificate.

So ill help fight to keep things open so at the very least we can learn the facts. And then go from there.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)

Messages In This Thread
Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon - by Saph - 03-29-2014, 12:15 PM
RE: Pack Goat Closure extending to Oregon - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 04-18-2014, 07:22 AM