2017 NAPgA Rendezvous in Lake City, CO - June 15-18
It's hard for me to pick a single favorite part of the Rendezvous, but the climb up Uncompahgre Peak on Sunday would be a top contender. Only seven of us stuck around for the hike--Phil and I, Kate from Australia, my friend Jordan from Rye, Herb (Charlie Horse on these forums), and Irene and Carl. Between us we had nine goats, two of them young kids. 

Herb's "Vincent van Goat" poses regally in front of our goal: 14,320-foot Uncompahgre Peak. 

Herb purchased a baby goat, who we called "Dude", the day before the Uncompahgre hike. Dude didn't have a single friend or family member he knew on this hike, so he made friends with everyone. Despite being "thrown in at the deep end" so to speak, Dude did awesome and never lagged or complained despite feeling a bit lost the whole time. Here he is, snuggling up to Carl.  

There were quite a few beautiful little wildflowers along the way. 

The cell service was great. Some of the best in the Lake City area!

We had to cross a lot of snow in the basin below the peak. It was soft, deep, and heavy and presented a real challenge for the big goats--especially the ones carrying packs. Goat toes are great on rocks, but terrible in snow. They sink straight down and can get no purchase so they wallow as if in quicksand. We felt bad for them so we tried to avoid snow as much as possible, but often there was no way around and we simply had to help and encourage them as best we could.  

Herb: Uncompahgre Conqueror 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 NAPgA Rendezvous in Lake City, CO - June 15-18 - by Nanno - 07-03-2017, 12:40 PM