2017 NAPgA Rendezvous in Lake City, CO - June 15-18
Friday, June 16 - NAPgA Rendezvous Day 2

Friday was "education day" at the Rendy. Phil and I started off the morning with a class on driving. I had two different styles of single hitch harnesses to compare and contrast, and we hitched Finn and Sputnik up to their carts and let people take turns driving them around the field. The boys were very patient. I was hoping we would also have time to briefly go over the team hitch, but time ran out on us. 

Next up was Carolyn Eddy's conformation class. It was very interesting as she compared and contrasted several different goats at the Rendy. Here is one of Charlie Jennings' Oberhaslis. 

Carolyn used colored stickers to demonstrate the points of the goat to help train our eyes to see and compare angles and overall balance. It was a great teaching aid and one I'll have to remember in the future. 

Robin and Steve's Nigies were very interested in furthering their education at these classes. 

Clay Zimmerman started the afternoon out with a class on proper saddle fit and placement. I heard afterwards that it was wonderful and very practical, but unfortunately I had to miss it because I was helping set up the store tent, and then I had to make an emergency water run because my goats spilled their last bucket. They paid for it though--I hitched Finn and Sputnik to the wagon and made them haul the water back from the creek themselves!

After Clay's talk, John Mionczynski shared stories about the wildlife encounters he's had over the years.   

I skipped most of John's talk for a hike up to Nellie Creek Falls with a couple of friends and our goats. I was feeling a bit "peopled-out" at this point and needed a break, as did my goats. The falls were beautiful and the walk refreshing, but I didn't take any photos.  

The best part of the day was the campfire. Local historian, Grant Houston, shared stories from Lake City's colorful past, and even had something to tell us about Pike Snowden, the man who owned the land we were camping on and who built the cabin there. Afterwards, John M. played several songs on his squeezbox, and then Phil and Jenny Bowen (a friend of Dwite's from Kansas) played their fiddles. 

My friend Jordan and her young packgoat-in-training, Geronimo. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2017 NAPgA Rendezvous in Lake City, CO - June 15-18 - by Nanno - 06-25-2017, 01:49 PM