How do I nip this in the bud right now!
Sounds pretty much like what I woulda done. Cept I woulda put Legion on the ground. As I have had to do twice before. Not for getting actually mean but more food aggressive. Something he has learned very well from being penned with Lincoln and a big reason why Lincoln will go and live with DD at the end of the month. And ya, watch your back. The second time I put Legion on the ground, I did tweek my back a bit. In the end it doesnt matter how you get them there. For me, Legion is way to big, strong and fast to attempt it by grabbing his body. I grabbed his horns, pulled his head to the ground and then more or less tackled him and locked him up with my legs. I never stop driving his head/horns into the ground cause he if got his head up, there would be no way I could hold him down. A few minutes of that and they calm down. Now I am not big on doing this as a good hard smack on the nose is usually more then enough but as stated, when challenged you need to get physical and WIN. The good thing with Legion is, he fully understands he did wrong and is accepting being put in his place. It takes a day or so but we are buds again and we move on.

As for the why? Its the horns. When a goat has horns they know it and are more likely to responded to the slightest sign from another goat. A tilt of the head, hair on the back standing up on end, a bucky blub or grunt, a sideways step. All of these are called presenting and is about the same thing as talking bad about someones mama. Smile If I take Legion out into the does, its a 50/50 chance he will try to use his horns on em. If none of the other goats presents, he is fine and actually has a good time out there smelling tails. But the moment on of them presents, he is ready to use his horns. Now this isnt to say a goat with horns will do this or even to say a goat without horns wouldnt. But when you are top chit (in your eyes) and have to big pokey things for weapons. The last thing your going to do is let someone talk bad about your mama Smile
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)

Messages In This Thread
RE: How do I nip this in the bud right now! - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 03-11-2014, 10:52 PM