Water Slide Trail Cleanup
Yesterday afternoon, Phil and I loaded up Finn and Sputnik and went for a hike to the natural water slide. I fastened the Sopris pack on Sputnik as his back is now easily long enough to carry it comfortably. I slid the  trash cans into the panniers because we had a mission: to clean up this beautiful trail that is too often used as a garbage dump by people who should know better. 

Sputnik carried the pack like a champ. This goat has really come into his own this summer and is no longer the skittish little guy who jumps at every touch of my hand. He stood perfectly while I saddled him and didn't flinch when I tightened the cinch or even the britchen. He didn't even spook when I slid the trash cans into the panniers. He was a little unsure of himself at first because the wide pack kept hitting trees and rocks in narrow places (and this trail has a LOT of narrow places!), but he soon got used to it and even learned very quickly when a spot was too narrow and he had to go around or over instead of through.

It's obvious to me that Sputnik really, really likes having a job. It makes him feel important and he takes his work very seriously. He even posed for a few photos--something I'm not at all used to with this goat. I'm pretty sure that with this one hike his self-esteem just tripled. 

Finn came along too, but he was useless--he didn't have a pack on at all and he spent the whole time goofing off. 

"I'M the hero here!" 

By the end I had filled both panniers with garbage--mostly plastic water bottles and granola wrappers, but also a few odd things. The nastiest was a discarded pair of underwear that had been partly shoved under a rock. I can only imagine why. I picked that one up with a long stick. Luckily I remembered to line the trash cans because even a trash can shouldn't touch some things. 

This trail has several water crossings, and I was impressed with Sputnik's bravery. He hesitated the first time, but after that he never missed a beat. There was a spot on the way back where Phil was carefully crossing from stone to stone with a hesitant Finn in tow. I knew that Sputnik with his big packs would have a hard time negotiating that route, so I decided to take him right through the creek. I jumped off a boulder into thigh-deep water, expecting to have to pull Sputnik in after me. But before I walked far enough to tighten the leash, I heard a tremendous splash as he plunged in after me, garbage cans and all. Such a change from the Sputnik who panicked in the lake at Rendy last year or who had to be physically dragged into the pool at Calf Creek Falls last October!

Messages In This Thread
Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by Nanno - 07-07-2016, 01:26 PM
RE: Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by hihobaron - 07-08-2016, 06:20 PM
RE: Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by Nanno - 07-08-2016, 09:23 PM
RE: Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by hihobaron - 07-09-2016, 04:36 AM
RE: Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by Nanno - 07-09-2016, 02:31 PM
RE: Water Slide Trail Cleanup - by hihobaron - 07-10-2016, 09:03 AM