Question About Lead Training
I'm glad you have halters. These will give you more leverage than collars and help keep the goats from pulling you around. They also won't choke themselves on halters. They are being rude to you at home because it's a familiar and comfortable place where they don't feel the need to pay attention to you. When you visit a strange place, you kind of automatically have their attention because YOU are the comfort object. At home they're like, "Pfft... whatever." You need to get their attention and respect.

Do you walk both your goats at once or do you lead one and someone else leads the other? I find it's generally easier to work with just one animal at a time. I would start by leading the mother and let the kid follow along at his own pace. You can work with him another time. Bring treats and a riding whip (if you don't have one, you can usually find them at your feed store or you can cut a willow branch about 30" long). Walk straight ahead and expect your goat to come along with you. If she pulls or balks, give two sharp tugs on the halter and say "Walk on!" If she comes willingly, praise her and give her a treat. If she continues to pull away, reach behind you with the riding whip and smack her on the hind legs. I carry both the treats and the whip on my left side, opposite from the goat on my right--the treats on the opposite side so they don't get raided, and the whip on the opposite side so I never never touch the goat with it accidentally. When you use a whip, make sure not to turn and face your goat. Keep facing straight ahead with the lead rope in your right hand just below the halter. Then reach behind your own legs with the whip and drive the goat forward. That way you're ready to keep walking straight ahead without having to twist this way and that, which confuses your goat. You want her to have a very clear signal with a very clear objective: walk forward! Once she walks forward, reward with a treat.

I had one goat that was balky like this as a yearling. It took only one or two lessons before I was able to leave the whip at home. After that, a halter tug was enough to get his attention and make him come along obediently. On the rare occasion when he forgot his manners, I would take the end of the leash and flick it behind me at his hindquarters. You are teaching your goat to give to pressure on the halter. It's helpful to teach them to tie by the halter as well. This will train them to give to pressure without you having to actively do anything. I always tie with a halter when I'm trimming feet, bathing, or grooming. They soon figure out on their own that it's not comfortable to lean on the halter and that the pressure will release when they move forward.

Make sure you are firm and clear in your commands and that you always demand a response. Don't ask your goat to do something and then give in and let her ignore you and do something else. Any time she succeeds in snatching food after you told her to come along, she won a victory and will be more insistent the next time. You have to pay close attention to when she's about to be naughty so you can correct her before she succeeds in disobedience. Once you have her attention and respect then you won't need to correct her so often. She'll learn to stay next to you until you release her. This is also a great opportunity to teach her "Whoa". Every time you stop, say "Whoa" and give a treat when she stands still. You'll be amazed how quickly she learns to start and stop on command.

Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Question About Lead Training - by AcanthaRose - 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Nanno - 06-27-2016, 12:25 PM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Sanhestar - 06-27-2016, 09:37 PM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by hihobaron - 06-28-2016, 06:05 AM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Sanhestar - 06-28-2016, 07:06 AM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Nanno - 06-28-2016, 07:56 AM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Sanhestar - 06-28-2016, 11:31 AM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by AcanthaRose - 06-28-2016, 12:20 PM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by Sanhestar - 06-28-2016, 11:42 PM
RE: Question About Lead Training - by AcanthaRose - 07-20-2016, 11:19 AM