Water on hikes
Hello Nanno and Sanhestar
RE:Water on the Trail (Drinking for Goats)
It took my boys a few long hikes in the desert before they learned to drink from streams and puddles. For years I thought Cuzco would never drink from a stream, but he eventually overcame his hydrophobia and then taught the younger boys.

I'm not sure how long or hot your hike was, but there's the possibility that they were simply not that thirsty. Goats can hold a ton of water in their bellies, and keep in mind that they pant to dissipate heat, which I believe uses less water than perspiration. As humans we've been told so many times to "push water" on hikes that we've forgotten the concept of only drinking when thirsty, and because of this too many people have unfortunately trained themselves to be thirsty all the time. Animals can't listen to "experts" so they haven't trained themselves to be in a constant state of thirst, and they don't worry about dehydration. I met one fellow whose goats packed in their water on the trail because they wouldn't drink from streams. I'm just not that nice. Mine have to drink from the streams or go thirsty. I figure that even if they get a little dehydrated, they're not going to die of thirst in sight of water.
==========
=====================
Shanhestar
RE:
Goats are picky about water they drink. Most must learn to drink from unfamiliar water sources. Breathing hard = panting is a sign of overheating. That happening for hours (!) after a hike is sure sign that you overdid it. Also the standing against a wall and instantly lying down.

Take it slower. If the weather is a crazy in the US as it is here in Germany they need to adjust to the change in temperature.
=======================

From hihobaron
RE: Goats "Thirst" Panting to Cool Down with and what they will drink.
Here South Carolina
#1 I noticed that on our first few "Real" walkabouts Pete and Sam this Spring were "Panting at every stop."
I just stopped and gave them a break (I needed one too)
I did make inquires about goat heat radiation here before and received the same "Panting" info. Good
I have since then done more "Conditioning"
================================
#2  Drinking water
I keep good clean "City Water" in their buckets.
But they are if we have rain out drinking form anything around that has caught rain water.???
====================================
#3 One of the last trips to CRP
There was a good shallow stream crossing and I had Max my trail dog that likes water (Lab) show the goat boy's that water dose not melt goats. Smile  Well they came down got a drink from the stream and then Jumped it.
So they will drink water on the trail, when "THEY" want to.  
==========================================
#4 Nanno
You can lead a horse/goat to water, but you can not make them drink.
They will drink what and when they want to.
BTY: I agree with you that the way "City Folk" HAVE" to carry a bottle or several with them all the time is a "Learned Habit" Promoted by "So Called Health Experts" and the Producers of Bottled water products Media BS.

Happy Trails
Beer is Better to Drink than "Water"
hihobaron Blizard.Fuzzy,Pete and Sam
Have a good Memorial Day Week end and Respect what our Military People have done. Be Safe.

Messages In This Thread
Water on hikes - by dutch007 - 05-28-2016, 07:07 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by Nanno - 05-28-2016, 07:52 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by Sanhestar - 05-28-2016, 07:53 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by hihobaron - 05-28-2016, 11:07 PM
RE: Water on hikes - by Sanhestar - 05-29-2016, 02:55 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by dutch007 - 05-29-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: Water on hikes - by IdahoNancy - 06-04-2016, 07:33 PM
RE: Water on hikes - by hihobaron - 06-05-2016, 04:05 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by Charlie Horse - 06-05-2016, 03:15 PM
RE: Water on hikes - by hihobaron - 06-06-2016, 05:42 AM
RE: Water on hikes - by hihobaron - 06-06-2016, 06:15 AM