Water on hikes
Good Morning, Pack Goat Central.
I have noticed over the last year of hiking with my boys that no matter how tired they are or
how long we have been hiking, the boys don't drink when we come to streams. I thought for 
sure that my adult packer would have sucked down some aqua after our first pack trip, but when 
we came to a stream on the way out he and my other boys just walked across and didn't drink.
Even when we got home they didn't go for the water. My adult packer went to Salt, then stood with his head against the
wall for 10 minutes and the young boys laid down. Just thought it odd that they were breathing hard
for a couple hours and weren't interested in water.
It took my boys a few long hikes in the desert before they learned to drink from streams and puddles. For years I thought Cuzco would never drink from a stream, but he eventually overcame his hydrophobia and then taught the younger boys.

I'm not sure how long or hot your hike was, but there's the possibility that they were simply not that thirsty. Goats can hold a ton of water in their bellies, and keep in mind that they pant to dissipate heat, which I believe uses less water than perspiration. As humans we've been told so many times to "push water" on hikes that we've forgotten the concept of only drinking when thirsty, and because of this too many people have unfortunately trained themselves to be thirsty all the time. Animals can't listen to "experts" so they haven't trained themselves to be in a constant state of thirst, and they don't worry about dehydration. I met one fellow whose goats packed in their water on the trail because they wouldn't drink from streams. I'm just not that nice. Mine have to drink from the streams or go thirsty. I figure that even if they get a little dehydrated, they're not going to die of thirst in sight of water.
Goats are picky about water then out. Most must learn to drink from unfamiliar water sources. Breathing hard = panting is a sign of overheating. That happening for hours (!) after a hike is sure sign that you overdid it. Also the standing against a wall and instantly lying down.

Take it slower. If the weather is a crazy in the US as it is here in Germany they need to adjust to the change in temperature.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Hello Nanno and Sanhestar
RE:Water on the Trail (Drinking for Goats)
It took my boys a few long hikes in the desert before they learned to drink from streams and puddles. For years I thought Cuzco would never drink from a stream, but he eventually overcame his hydrophobia and then taught the younger boys.

I'm not sure how long or hot your hike was, but there's the possibility that they were simply not that thirsty. Goats can hold a ton of water in their bellies, and keep in mind that they pant to dissipate heat, which I believe uses less water than perspiration. As humans we've been told so many times to "push water" on hikes that we've forgotten the concept of only drinking when thirsty, and because of this too many people have unfortunately trained themselves to be thirsty all the time. Animals can't listen to "experts" so they haven't trained themselves to be in a constant state of thirst, and they don't worry about dehydration. I met one fellow whose goats packed in their water on the trail because they wouldn't drink from streams. I'm just not that nice. Mine have to drink from the streams or go thirsty. I figure that even if they get a little dehydrated, they're not going to die of thirst in sight of water.
==========
=====================
Shanhestar
RE:
Goats are picky about water they drink. Most must learn to drink from unfamiliar water sources. Breathing hard = panting is a sign of overheating. That happening for hours (!) after a hike is sure sign that you overdid it. Also the standing against a wall and instantly lying down.

Take it slower. If the weather is a crazy in the US as it is here in Germany they need to adjust to the change in temperature.
=======================

From hihobaron
RE: Goats "Thirst" Panting to Cool Down with and what they will drink.
Here South Carolina
#1 I noticed that on our first few "Real" walkabouts Pete and Sam this Spring were "Panting at every stop."
I just stopped and gave them a break (I needed one too)
I did make inquires about goat heat radiation here before and received the same "Panting" info. Good
I have since then done more "Conditioning"
================================
#2  Drinking water
I keep good clean "City Water" in their buckets.
But they are if we have rain out drinking form anything around that has caught rain water.???
====================================
#3 One of the last trips to CRP
There was a good shallow stream crossing and I had Max my trail dog that likes water (Lab) show the goat boy's that water dose not melt goats. Smile  Well they came down got a drink from the stream and then Jumped it.
So they will drink water on the trail, when "THEY" want to.  
==========================================
#4 Nanno
You can lead a horse/goat to water, but you can not make them drink.
They will drink what and when they want to.
BTY: I agree with you that the way "City Folk" HAVE" to carry a bottle or several with them all the time is a "Learned Habit" Promoted by "So Called Health Experts" and the Producers of Bottled water products Media BS.

Happy Trails
Beer is Better to Drink than "Water"
hihobaron Blizard.Fuzzy,Pete and Sam
Have a good Memorial Day Week end and Respect what our Military People have done. Be Safe.
(05-28-2016, 07:52 AM)Nanno Wrote: Mine have to drink from the streams or go thirsty. I figure that even if they get a little dehydrated, they're not going to die of thirst in sight of water.

They might not die from dehydration but they can "throw" a urinary calculi = stone when they run out of water (or refuse to drink because the source is not acceptable for them) and empty their bladder due to more exercise. We all know how much goats pee on hikes before they switch to "desert mode".

Had this actually happen to one of my wethers years back after an only 1,5/2 hour hike in warm spring wether, panting, without water to a new pasture. We built the fence, drove home to pick up the heavy gear and water and when we came back he had already a stone blocking his urether.

A few years before that we had another back luck case: we had taken all the goats with us on a 14 day medieval reenactment event. Due to food changes one of the wethers developed enterotoxemia. Luckily the vet we called had extensive experience with goats and managed to get him stabilized with antibiotics and i.v. fluids. He was on the mend, we stopped the i.v. fluids but didn't pay enough attention why he would refuse to drink from the water we offered in a large bucket. We later learned that this bucket had been used years ago to mix paint and must have held some (for humans unsmellable) traces of paint or paint thinner which for him in his weakened state where unacceptable (the other goats drank from that bucket).

Growing really thirsty and desperate this sick wether than drank water from a standing puddle. Due to some organism in that puddle his rumen (which we just got going) shut down again and we were unable to get it going again.

These incidents might not compare to drinking/refusing to drink water from a stream during a hike but thought me several things. One, to pay attention when the goats refuse a water source that at first glance is acceptable and two to keep in mind that there is a risk of stones dislodging when/before they go in "desert mode". I believe Carolyn Eddy mentions this in her book, too.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Thanks for the info, everyone.
Ok, my boys are a little spoiled. I bring a collapsible water bowl. I scoop the stream water into a bowl if they are not drinking on a hot hike. Then I sprinkle a little powdered Gatorade in the water. They love the red flavor one.
IdahoNancy
"Bartender" can you get us another drink please, with some of that Lemon Lime flavored stuff in it too.? Smile
I have used Gatorade in water for my Endurance horses and trail horses in hot dry weather.
Don't forget to drink some yourself too. Sharing the collapsible bucket with the goats is optionalSmile
Happy Trails hihobaron Blizzard, Fuzzy,Pete and Sam
[Image: wildhorse_drinking_01.jpg]

Of course after the pack goats have had their fill, some poor wild animal is going to wither away in the sun.
Hello Charily Horse
Invite that poor wild animal to dinner over the camp fire as a guest of honer.
I have the other problem here in SC Water streams ,creeks, pot holes full of water.
PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals. Is the rule here.
hihobaron Blizzard, Fuzzy, Pete and Sam.