Cold weather
Our temperatures have been hovering down around zero recently. Cuzco has been shivering constantly. I think it's his age--he never used to be this cold. He would be warmer if he would share his shelter with the other goats, but it just ain't happnin'. The babies start shivering after they come out to eat in the morning, but they seem warm enough in their sheds. The PolyDomes I use aren't insulated, but I've bedded them with deep straw and left a straw bale against the wall in each one so they have something warm to rest their backs against. They're very draft-free and surprisingly warm inside, especially when several goats pile up in them.

All the goats have been wearing blankets lately. The first morning when we woke up to this sudden temperature plunge combined with high humidity, I brought the blankets out and everyone came flocking over and tried to get theirs on first. Nobody protested--even Lilly, who hates blankets, and Cuzco who protests everything. Cuzco also wore his earmuffs for a couple of days, not because I'm concerned his ears will freeze but because the whole goat is cold right now, and I figure I'll cover up as much of him as I can. I haven't had to dig these out since Lake City where it got to be -20 degrees and he lived outside with no shelter. But now that he's older he just can't seem to keep himself warm like he used to. My dad complains of similar problems.

And miracle of miracles... Lilly has learned how to keep her blanket ON! Day before yesterday was the FIRST morning that Lilly came out with her blanket on and only her neck poking through the neck hole. Usually there's at least one leg as well. I thought it might just be a fluke, but yesterday and today she's had it on properly too, so it seems this cold snap has been a good teacher. Still, the phenomenon was so unusual at the time that I had to snap a picture.

The babies warm themselves with vigorous exercise.

Messages In This Thread
Cold weather - by Huckleberry - 12-07-2013, 08:49 PM
RE: Cold weather - by Charlie Horse - 12-07-2013, 10:36 PM
RE: Cold weather - by Nanno - 12-08-2013, 12:19 PM
RE: Cold weather - by Huckleberry - 12-08-2013, 03:58 PM
RE: Cold weather - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-08-2013, 09:00 PM
RE: Cuzco shivering - by Taffy - 12-09-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: Cold weather - by Nanno - 12-09-2013, 10:11 AM
RE: Cold weather - by Huckleberry - 12-09-2013, 07:55 PM
RE: Cold weather - by Charlie Horse - 12-10-2013, 08:56 AM
RE: Cold weather - by joecool911 - 12-10-2013, 09:51 AM
RE: Cold weather - by Nanno - 12-23-2013, 07:42 AM