Invisible fence
Hello Nanno and ALL
Yes, there are 2 types of "Invisible" fence.
Let me Define a bit more from my "Experience with both"
#1 "Little" Wireless system.
You plug a wall wart type unit into a outdoor AC outlet and it transmits a Radio Frequency (RF) signal in a 360 degree pattern.
The collar on the animal senses "Signal Strength" from the transmitter position. When the signal strength drops below a set point it beeps a warning to the animal, if the signal strength drops still lower it shocks the animal, to prove Don't go no more.
Problems with the above. Range and objects that obstruct the RF signal from the wall wart like the wall of the house or barn.
They may have 300 feet" Line of Sight" to the wall wart, but only 10 feet on the other side of the house or barn from were the wall wart is plugged in. Interference with the signal by the building.
Also IF you lose main power , to the wall wart , Collar goes right to "Shock Mode" Granted they only fire a shock for so long, but your animal gets a "undeserved" shock.

Many of the Little systems come with small wire flags "Like utility companies use to mark underground lines" to mark a visual boundary for training animals. That can work good, goats have a good memory for trails and place they can go.
Better memory for places they are NOT allowed to go. Smile Just give them a chance and you will find out. Smile

#2 Underground Fence systems.
They require you lay out a wire that is the antenna for the transmitter to "Surround the containment area"
Wire is in "City Dog applications" is intended for direct burial at the perimeter of your property.
The way they work is the collar when it "Senses" a RF signal "ABOVE" a set point, it Beeps as a warning. IF the Signal gets stronger it shocks the animal. You go no farther.
They too give you flags to mark the boundary for training.
The system I used was like the above. My other post told how I applied the system for portable grazing control.
String the wire above ground and mark with construction ribbon for a visual boundary.
The above use a wall wart for power supply at home, but can be "Adapted" to run off a car battery with no problems.
The "Biggest Trick" is using the construction ribbon to mark with.

The ONE bad thing about both systems is that when a critter gets out many time they can not get back in with out getting a shock. that is when you have to have the animals trust, you shut down the #2 type system go catch the critter, walk them back in.
Power the system back up. The "Flagged" boundary markers will keep them in for a while with the #2 described system
With the # 1 described system you take the collar off the animal ASAP, bring it in and put collar back on.

Moving On:
Gates and Cozco

I have "Good Goats with no horns" and they have yet to"Let themselves out" Both are smaller than Cozco. Sad
More Later have go unload feed before Ice gets to bad.
Happy Trails
hihobaron and the Troops in SC.

Messages In This Thread
Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 09:44 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by hihobaron - 02-14-2016, 05:00 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 09:19 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-14-2016, 10:18 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Whitehorsebob - 02-14-2016, 10:30 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by Sanhestar - 02-14-2016, 11:11 PM
RE: Invisible fence - by hihobaron - 02-15-2016, 08:03 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-15-2016, 07:41 AM
RE: Invisible fence - by Nanno - 02-15-2016, 08:45 AM