Clicker training a shy goat to become a pack goat - ungoing process
I can add some more progress to Freddie's story.

I started to click oncoming cars: when a car would approach I would offer my hand for targeting and click and treat. The timing was so that the car passing and Freddie touching the hand would ideally happen at the same moment.

Therefore Freddie would connect the car - which in itself was frightening - with the good and rewarding action of targeting to my hand and earning a click and treat. He learned to do something else than bolting when he felt in danger.

Last Sunday I expanded on that and played with him how far he was able to leave herd and stable. It wasn't very far, we got to the sidewalk in front of our home - approx. 30 metres from the entrance to the stable. But it was far for him, being out with me alone and he walked that distance eager to explore.

He was also able to weather several oncoming cars (bolting at the first two) by targeting to my hand as soon as he heard the motor noise. The connection "car - handtarget" is strong enough already that he will look at me and ask me to offer the handtarget. This is one of several safeguards I will train with him to override his natural instinct of bolting and running for home so that he can eventually be left to follow free on the hikes.

At the moment I'm re-visiting the saddling process to teach him to stand still while being saddled and not fiddle around, searching for my hand as target. As beneficial as this behaviour is, I need to have alternatives in place for times when I need both hands on him.

This is another important lesson in clickertraining (again not from me but other renouned trainers): "for every behaviour you teach there is another, opposite behaviour that you MUST teach also!"
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clicker training a shy goat to become a pack goat - ungoing process - by Sanhestar - 02-18-2016, 08:50 AM