Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail
(01-20-2016, 07:32 AM)Nanno Wrote: Sounds great!

So they don't allow mountain bikes on Saturdays only? That's funny. Why not? I guess the trails are too busy with hikers or something? I have to say... as open-minded as I am about multi-use trails, I have the hardest time with mountain bikers. I love dirt bikers and ATV riders and snowmobilers... never had a problem with them. But mountain bikers scare the heck out of me. They come up so fast and so quiet that you can't always get out of their way in time. They scare the horses because they come out of nowhere (at least the motorized rides give you plenty of warning), and I'm always afraid that one of them is going to be similarly surprised by my horse and have a major crash. Unlike dirt bikers, cyclists never wear enough clothes to protect them from a nasty fall and I cringe at the thought of having to give first aid to one of them. On the other hand, there's nothing quite so funny as seeing a biker's eyes bug out and his jaw drop when he comes flying around a corner and there's a 1000 lb. beast taking up the entire trail. A lot of gravel flies and they usually sound pretty shaky in the voice when I greet them. As much as they might spook my horse, I'm quite sure my horse spooks them more.
Hello Nanno
RE: Mountain Bikers on Trails 
I agree with you 100% and Bikes even on the street when your riding/working a horse as in Mounted Police work.
As some thing that I train horse for that kind of work to deal with, it is not easy.
As you say Bikes come up silently for the most part and a horse can not hear them.
Then they are there.. 
Now down here in SC there are Road Bike Marathons , Point to Point Races, Several University Bike Teams All ether come out to race or practice on the same back roads that we Ride and drive horses on.
The above will often be in large groups and will spread out (Even though they are not supposed to) the full with of the road. As you know I drive horses  as well as ride and have packed with horses.
I was driving a Belgian Team for a Carriage Service friend of mine, that just need some "Country Time".
Just a 14 foot flat hay wagon on. Came to a Intersection were I had the right of way by Road rules.
Went through the intersection and 15 bikers Blew the stop sign and piled up on the side of the flat wagon.
Sort of like getting a strike when bowling. :Smile Yes , I have dealt with biker types many time on the road.  Angry

They untangled themselves and started bitching. I told them if you would have stopped at the sign you would not be on the ground. Horses were just happy to stand there.  Big Grin
Well they had a couple busted up bikes and scrapes and were being "Extremely Obnoxious"
So I called the Sheriff's Office reported the accident told the that I multiple Irate people acting aggressively.
Gave Location and Dispatch said there would be a office there fast. Bikers did not like it that I was on the cell phone. I always carry when working horses of any kind, but don't answer incoming calls, there is another story there I'll tell you later.
 As I have mention I do also have CWP permit and when Trailing or Driving horses I do carry.
That day I was wearing a light Safari Type jacket I like lots of pocketsSmile and just unbuttoned the front and stood up to talk face to face with them, as I turned the jacket flared open a bit and a couple of the close up ones I am sure spotted my holstered pistol. They got very Polite FAST. I told them the LEO's were on the way and everybody needed to hang around to file a accident report. They were not happy about that.
Leo's showed up about then (2 Cars) Smile
Yes , they knew me and they have trouble all the time with these kind of road bikers. (Privileged College Brats)
End Story: They all got tickets for Running a stop sign , And endangerment of an animals.
They tried to claim He has a gun, I was ask said yes but I never un-holstered, So LEO ask to see my Permit.
That ended any problems for me.
BTY: I got even with the bikers:
I knew from driving past were they always parked to gather. 
I offered to haul the busted bikes and any people back to their parking spot, about 2 miles and on the way to the farm any way. Smile
So they loaded several bikes and people onto the wagon. 
Got to their Parking spot.
They went to unload and I said the fee is $10 each for the "Tow Service" or I keep the bikes for scrap metal. Smile
I think they learned the hard way about "Right of Way"
Happy Trails
hihobaron

Messages In This Thread
Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Saph - 01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-22-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-22-2016, 07:08 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM