Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail
(01-17-2016, 10:25 PM)Saph Wrote: I know that I saw something a few years back; however this is all I could find, after a quick search:
http://www.nps.gov/appa/learn/management...m_2002.pdf
Scroll down to the definition of "pack animals."

So, unfortunately, you are not allowed to use goats on the AT.  Sad

Hello Saph
You dug very deep for that order "2002" if I read the date right?
How many "Rangers" are there working the trail NOW that would know that point of law? 
The Condition of the entire NFS, DNR, etc is so Under funded by the Obama Administration that only in high profile/ political oriented cases is there a chance of anything but a warning to "you can't do that here".
Look for yourself at the areas you pack through were there is litter from "Slob" campers/packers.
I know of 3 county and state owned property here that have absolutely NO kind of enforcement or even a dumpster for trash. Because the responsible departments can not "Afford" the cost of having the trash picked up, or even a Ranger from another Park stopping in to check on things once a day. 
In the end point, I will treat nature well and leave no trace.
To "Legislate"  restrictions from a Ivory Tower like you are dealing with out there on Pack Goats spreading infections to the Mountain Goats/sheep.
Most of the "Legislators" would not recognize a pack goat even it it stuck a horn into a posterior of theirs.
If a dog can go on a trail , so can a goat, Equal Rights for all. 
Or to put it another way Goat Packing Lives Matter TOO. Especially if you have Dark Colored Pack Goats. Dodgy

Happy Trails
Ignore the "System" if it is not Justified  (Also Called Being a "Rational Anarchist"
hihobaron

Messages In This Thread
Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Saph - 01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 11:28 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-22-2016, 07:08 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM