Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail
Hello Nanno and company
I have spent more than 8 hours tracing down online sources for No-Goat rules. Still more to do.
At least in my area for the AT and Foothills Trail systems.
Even the AT Says "Usage Rules vary by area" Depending on section of trail.
The main consistent rule I can find is basic Leash and manners.
Yes, Rules on Riding/Pack "Equines" and a very vague reference to "Pack Animals"
Goats and Lamas not mentioned.
Companion Animals Not mentioned. Dose a dog with a pack on become a "Pack Animal" ???
Trails NOT controlled except close to State Park accesses and as I mentioned there is a way "Round" that. Smile
At any rate my feeling is I will use both of the above trail systems as I want and PROMOTE "LEAVE NO TRACE"
Goats are even better here for that, and can always say we are doing trail clean up and will pick up trash along trail to prove it.
People here know nothing about Pack Goats and even the "Officials" in the Park Service have never had to deal with them.
Basically, they have bigger People Problems to deal with than a couple Goats and a Ornery old Goat to deal with.
The worst they can do is send me home and as my prime targets /research sites are close by for now, no big deal.
Initial testing will be just goat walks for all of us to learn more about trail work here.
Happy Trails
hihobaron

Messages In This Thread
Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Saph - 01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 10:31 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-22-2016, 07:08 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM