Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail
Hello Nanno
I have been looking through all the regulations I can get into online. for this area.
There may be a few areas that are not terrain suitable for goats unless they are "Extreamly" experienced.
Long Suspension bridges etc.
The ONLY Restriction I could find in Both SC State Parks, Foothills Trail (70 miles) Appalachian Trail.
Reads along the Line of "Horse, Mules, etc" No specific mention of Goats/Lamas.
By the book (goats) they are treated under the same rules as a dog. State Park/ City Parks with walking trails same law.
Keep them leashed or under direct supervision. If they are noisy (A Goat Noisy)?? or aggressive you can be asked to leave. The entire trail is not well supervised. You all know from out there that many trail heads are at best a wide spot in the road or a gravel pad. Many Trail heads here are the same way. Some do start in State Parks were you can camp and do day walks. The thing is once you are on the trails who is going to catch you???
No Mountain Goats here/sheep, Goats eat native forage so " Bringing in Invasive plant seeds is not a problem"
Some Bear (Black) wild/feral hogs/deer/but predators on 4 legs are not a major threat. 2 Legged ones is one reason I have a CWP permit. so I can carry a defensive weapon anywhere on the trails or in State Parks.
The way I look at it is my goats are my "Therapy Animals" and "Emotional Support Animals"
How much do you want to bet I can get a "Assistance Animal" certification for my boys??? Smile
The packs they have on are for my medical supplies. Smile
If a Turkey, yes Live Fowl type Turkey can fly on a commercial jet with a "Assistance Animal" certification my goats can get the same certification and walk with me on any trail I want to go on. Smile
Yes , I do have a mind set that if the rules don't make good sense, I will find a way around it. Call it a goatish attitude.
Here in the East you have to consider "Stupid" rules the same way you out there would look at how to get around a rock in the trail.
Happy Trails
Wish me Luck
hihobaron

Messages In This Thread
Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by hihobaron - 01-17-2016, 07:13 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-17-2016, 07:15 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Saph - 01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-20-2016, 07:32 AM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-22-2016, 07:08 PM
RE: Goat Packing the Appalachian Trail - by Nanno - 01-23-2016, 08:28 AM