green horn questions
(12-28-2015, 02:34 PM)Nanno Wrote:
(12-28-2015, 12:45 PM)PackGoatGreenHorn Wrote: I am about 30 minutes north of Denver Colorado!

That's actually a really good location! There is pretty large and active 4-H packgoat group in Boulder County. Your best bet would be to contact the Boulder County extension office and get the phone number for the woman in charge of the 4-H packgoat group there. She could be a really good resource for you. Good luck!
ok thank you for your help!
(12-28-2015, 12:48 PM)PackGoatGreenHorn Wrote: Thank you for the info! We were mainly wanting something that didn't eat as much as a horse because we don't go that often and horses are big hay burners.

goats eat less hay but to keep them healthy and happy (I have come across fence-jumping goats rather often because of this) when they get lots of browse (leavy twigs, edible bark, brush) which you have to provide and recycle, they also leave about 1/3 of their hay ration uneaten because they will not eat anything that they walked across (hay fallen to the ground) and are in general much more picky eaters (genetic trait in goats, keeps them from ingesting toxic plants, as well). In that regard horses are less messy, again.
--------------------------------------
Sabine from Germany
[Image: zoVgi.gif]

(12-28-2015, 12:45 PM)PackGoatGreenHorn Wrote: I am about 30 minutes north of Denver Colorado!

Hi PackGoatGreenHorn,  I am about 50 minutes Northwest of Denver in a place call Coal Creek Canyon. I am finding more and more people who are packing or are interested in packing with goats in the Denver Metro area. Maybe we can all get together in the Springs or when snow had melted with our goats for some hikes. I have two Alpines and one Boer. Not sure what to do with my Boer if I take the Alpines hiking...
(12-31-2015, 09:25 PM)Catahoula Wrote:

Hi PackGoatGreenHorn,  I am about 50 minutes Northwest of Denver in a place call Coal Creek Canyon. I am finding more and more people who are packing or are interested in packing with goats in the Denver Metro area. Maybe we can all get together in the Springs or when snow had melted with our goats for some hikes. I have two Alpines and one Boer. Not sure what to do with my Boer if I take the Alpines hiking...

That sounds like fun, I am just getting started though and don't have any goats yet.