Goats and the winter cold?
Here is what I tell everyone new to goats. Goats need a draft free and dry shelter with venting at the top.

A three sided enclosure is a little open for my tastes as wind tends to change directions throughout the winter. But a three sided shelter is great for warmer weather. So I fashion a 4th wall with like a doggy door style opening in a larger swing or sliding door. That way I can either open or remove it once the weather warms up. Now where we live, we typically only get 2 or 3 weeks a year where the low temp doesnt get above freezing and rarely get enough snow to even mention and I still do this. For those that live in colder / snowy areas, such as yourself Marc, I would suggest the above if possible and if your goats will allow it. Some goats, like to dominate a single shelter if this is done. Keeping the lower ranked animals out in the cold. In this case I would suggest a wind break in front of the opening. Say 4 to 6 fee out away from the shelter extending 4 feet past the opening on either side of the shelter. Even something as simple as some posts and OSB sheets are an effective wind break. For venting I like to use 4x12 soffit vents. Super easy to cut out a rectangle up near the top and screw these over the opening. I will see if I cant find a picture of my kid/yearling shelter.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)

Messages In This Thread
Goats and the winter cold? - by Marc - 12-24-2015, 09:39 AM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Saph - 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 04:57 PM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by hihobaron - 12-24-2015, 07:34 PM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 12-24-2015, 06:02 PM