Goats and the winter cold?
I always consider each of my goats individually since they all have different needs at different times. However, the only goat I have that uses a blanket is Cuzco. He is 13 years old and refuses to let other goats into his shed to help warm it, and his teeth are worn out so he has a hard time eating enough to stay warm without blanketing when the temperature drops below 15 degrees.

However, Cuzco is the exception because of his age. Most goats should be fine without coats. If your goats are in their prime, healthy, and have adequate food and shelter then they should not need blankets. A bellyful of hay keeps them warmer than any blanket ever could. Keeping them dry and out of the wind will also do more than blanketing. If your healthy young goats are shivering when the temperatures dip, then first look at your shelter and feeding regimen. They should get enough hay in the evening to fill their bellies through the coldest part of the night. Make sure the shelter openings face away from the prevailing wind. If you get a lot of wind and/or very cold temperatures it helps to cover the fourth side of the shelter and just leave a small doorway. These are the things I would do before blanketing. If the goats aren't shivering then they're fine.

I do like to keep several different-sized blankets on hand in case I have a goat get sick, or if I have to transport them in wintertime. Every now and then we've also had a new goat that the other goats wouldn't allow into any shelter, and that one may wear a blanket during storms until they are more accepted in the herd.

Messages In This Thread
Goats and the winter cold? - by Marc - 12-24-2015, 09:39 AM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 10:58 AM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Saph - 12-24-2015, 12:08 PM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by Nanno - 12-24-2015, 04:57 PM
RE: Goats and the winter cold? - by hihobaron - 12-24-2015, 07:34 PM