Domestic small ruminants and bighorn sheep
Additional notes from Dr Besser at WADDL. The swab must be synthetic NOT COTTON. I do not understand the reason for this but this but is what I was told. I called my vet got the manufacture of the swab and catalog number. Made a call to the manufacturing company and confirmed it was synthetic. The swab was rayon. Dr Highland does not seem to mention it for her lab.
If using WADDL you can go to the Washington Animal Disease Diagnostic Laboratory (WADDL) wedsite, go to "forms", then "General WADDL Accession Form". Print this form and fill it out. You will need to write MOVI on the line for "other". The nasal swab is done by a method called PCR the blood test is ELISA. The website has this note attached.
'Mycoplasma ovipneumoniae (cELISA) - serology testing temporarily delayed. PCR testing for M. ovi is still available. Contact the lab with any questions."
Avoid doing the test late in the week, on a weekend, or a holiday. If you do it on Monday or Tuesday it will get to the lab in a timely manner and avoid sitting around on a weekend.
I had the form and mailing box ready to go when the test was done and dropped it at the post office that day.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Domestic small ruminants and bighorn sheep - by IdahoNancy - 12-10-2015, 03:12 PM