Jerry the non working goat....
Oh dear. Sounds to me like you've got a "dud" goat (unusual for Obers from what I hear, but every breed has its oddballs). If I were you, I'd try to get something out of him so he's not a total loss, which means selling him or putting him in the freezer. If you sell him as a weed eater or animal companion, you probably won't get much, but it's better than nothing. I'm not sure how good he'd be to eat at his age, but I found out this year that goats have a surprising amount of meat on them. If you want to sell him quickly you could take him to a local auction.

I wouldn't recommend trying to retrain him. It sounds to me like you've tried every reasonable thing and the only result is more frustration. Please don't drive yourself crazy! I say this to people with "dud" horses and dogs too--there are far too many good ones in the world for you to waste your time and money on one that you can't train. Time to repurpose him. If you take the sale route, there's a good chance your goat could end up in a much happier home than yours--one where he's never required to earn his keep in any way.   Smile  

Before you get rid of him, make sure you already have a replacement lined up so Samson doesn't get frantic without a buddy. You don't want your good working goat to lose condition. Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
Jerry the non working goat.... - by GPW - 07-27-2015, 01:55 PM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by Nanno - 07-27-2015, 07:25 PM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by Sanhestar - 07-28-2015, 08:36 AM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by GPW - 07-30-2015, 12:13 PM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by Sanhestar - 07-30-2015, 08:57 PM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by nebs - 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: Jerry the non working goat.... - by GPW - 08-17-2015, 01:58 PM