CL Vaccination - Thoughts and experiences
Yeah, I'm not real pleased with these reactions. At least next year I only have to do this once. It's the two-week booster that seems to be causing most of the problems, which is what the fellow at Texas Vet Labs said would probably be the case. I'm hoping that Finn and Delilah will heal quickly now that their abscesses are draining. Both look much better already, but poor Delilah won't let me come near her after last night's ordeal and it took me a long time with a grain bucket to convince her to come close enough where I could grab her collar. I'll probably have to have Phil catch her for me from now on, poor girl.

Cuzco didn't really get a first lump until after I gave the booster, and then the first injection site developed a small abscess the very next day. This morning it was close to the surface and gooshy in the center, so I lanced and drained it. A lot of stuff came out for such a small knot! But Cuzco is a steady old trooper and stood very nicely for the operation. He's the first goat that I haven't had restrain in the stanchion or with a halter snubbed up close to the fence. It's funny that my biggest, strongest, most ornery goat is the easiest to work with when it comes to uncomfortable procedures. Go figure!

I hope that this whole mess is worth it. I have to admit, it's a lot better to drain sterile abscesses that I know are not CL than to have to ever deal with the real disease. I hope the vaccine does its job and protects these guys, but I also hope that a better one comes along soon. I feel like my poor goats are test subjects, but I hope that in the end we help further the science. If no one buys the vaccine, there will be little motivation to spend the time and money to improve it--and I really want them to improve it!

Messages In This Thread
RE: CL Vaccination - Thoughts and experiences - by Nanno - 05-29-2015, 09:19 AM