CL Vaccination - Thoughts and experiences
Now for a specific run-down of how my goats have reacted individually. This is more for my own records than for anyone in particular, so you guys might want to skip this boring narrative. Wink
I will update these posts with further developments as this saga unfolds.

First goats I vaccinated:

Delilah: Three-year-old Alpine doe, not thought to be pregnant, but turns out she may be after all. She was vaccinated April 20th, and I was very pleased to see that Delilah seemed to have no reaction at all. It wasn't until nearly two weeks afterwards that the entire left side of her neck turned hard as a rock. It felt like the whole muscle down that side had seized. It was only visible if I stood over her neck and looked from the top down, but I could see that that side looked like it was bowed outwards and she was very sore to the touch. She went off grain for a day or two and would stand with her head down. There was never any heat and the swelling was only visible for a few days. It's now over a week after the reaction began and she's still very stiff on that side, but the area is slowly getting smaller.

I did the booster two weeks later on May 4th (one week ago yesterday), and the reaction was almost immediate. A large, hard lump started the very next day on the right side of her neck. It has continued to slowly grow throughout the week. I did the booster higher up near the top of the neck, so while the lump is still quite sore, it at least isn't affecting her head and neck movement so much. She has the occasional bad day where she stands with her head down a lot and isn't interested in grain, but she goes out with the other goats and still grazes. She wants nothing to do with me on her bad days, though!

Snickers: Yearling 5/8 Nubian, 3/8 Alpine wether. He got a small lump that started about five days after administering the first shot on April 20th. It was easily felt but not visible under the hair. That first lump broke up and is now almost gone three weeks later. I gave the booster at two weeks on May 4th and gave it higher up the neck than the first. A lump started 2-3 days afterwards and is much bigger than the first. It is clearly visible but doesn't seem to bother him at all unless I squeeze it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: CL Vaccination - Thoughts and experiences - by Nanno - 05-12-2015, 09:14 PM