No discharge?
So, I've got a question... Nubbin kidded two days ago and still has no discharge and never had any contractions (that I saw) after the the actual birth. Is this a form of "normal" that I'm not aware of?

I can't be certain she passed the placenta because she never had anything hanging after she gave birth. I'm not experienced, but the few does we've had that gave birth always had contractions until they expelled the afterbirth. Lilly's first took a little over 12 hours and I had to tie the afterbirth up so it wouldn't drag the ground while it slowly came away. Others were quicker, but all of them at least had something hanging out within 1/2 hour of kidding, and all of them had contractions throughout the next day, even after the afterbirth was expelled. If I remember correctly, all of them had bloody discharge right away and for about 2-3 weeks after.

Nubbin not only had nothing hanging for at least six hours after she had the kids, but she's had no contractions at all that I've seen and she doesn't have any discharge. She expelled something during the night because there were two bloody wet patches in the straw next morning, and she did expel a little pink goo a couple of times the next morning, but nothing else. I washed the dried goo off her udder yesterday morning and it's still perfectly clean. I hope I'm just worrying needlessly, but it seems a little odd and certainly different from the other births we've had here, so I felt compelled to ask.

Also, she's very lame on her left hind leg. It came up quite suddenly Wednesday or Thursday and got progressively worse. Yesterday she was barely hobbling on it. I can't find anything wrong with the hoof or joints, and there are no hot spots or swelling. She seemed better this morning but once again got worse as the day wore on. She hardly laid down all day, which probably contributed to it getting more sore. I'm *guessing* she either pulled a muscle or pinched a nerve while getting up and down with her fat, pregnant belly and that it's just going to take some time to heal. Does that sound it could be the cause of her lameness? As far as I can tell it's just the one leg.

Messages In This Thread
No discharge? - by Nanno - 05-02-2015, 06:28 PM
RE: No discharge? - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 05-02-2015, 09:12 PM
RE: No discharge? - by Nanno - 05-03-2015, 07:04 AM
RE: No discharge? - by Nanno - 05-03-2015, 12:58 PM
RE: No discharge? - by Nanno - 05-04-2015, 12:02 PM