Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio)
I actually got to talk with a CHS (payback) nutritionalist today at the 4H goat event. They brought him in to speak. Matt the vet also showed up to talk. So I got conformation on all the research I did. I cant tell you where I found it but I was researching minerals for many many months. I didnt do any bookmarks or take notice of where I was getting my info other then it was research sites and scientific sites. Sorry I cant point you in the right direction.

The rep conformed the following. That upwards of 80% of all oxide and sulfate based minerals pass through the system (not just goats but any animal or even human so if you are taking daily vitamins, check to see if they are either one of these bases). I still cant relate back exactly why other then they are missing a molecule that allows them to bind to something that then allows them to be absorbed. The amino acid base allows for full absorption. Thats why the above mineral mix is so good. It can take months for an animal when switched to this mineral mix to get their levels back up to a normal level. Another thing the rep said is that when one of these minerals is off, it can restrict the effectiveness of the others as well because they all need to work in conjunction with each other. This is why you will see multiple symptoms like being more susceptible to illness, worms, anemia, rough skin and coats, poor hoof growth, poor digestive tract and stomach functions and so on. Matt concurred that the animals that he see that are getting the correct minerals are far less likely to have issue and the ones that do have an issue dont usually have multiple issues. Like this year we had several does come down with uterine infections as well as pneumonia after kidding. This is because they were so low in their mineral levels that their bodies couldnt fight off the simple things that they should of been able.

Nanno, I would advise against using multimin 90 in your area. Once we get the animals upto normal levels, we have been advised by the vet to not use it anymore either cept in lower amounts (1/4 to 1/2 cc) before breeding and then again before kidding. But thats because we are in a major low selenium area and the selenium level in this mix is still low enough to warrant it. If you cant get CHS in your area, Id call around to all the feed stores within a couple of hours driving distance and see what brands they carry. That way you can look up the analysis read out on each and see if you can get a better mix. You should also be able to find copper boluses that have the little rods and are not oxide based. For zinc, you might pick up some pills from a drug store. I personally take Pharmassure zinc tablets once a day. I get them from Rite Aid. They are zinc gluconate. 50mg / 333% of my daily value. Kinda a pain in the but to give your goats one a day but doable.
Pack Goat Prospects For Sale. http://trinitypackgoats.webs.com

S.E. Washington (Benton City)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Decent Mineral Mix 16/8 (2:1 ratio) - by Dave-Trinity-Farms - 05-02-2015, 09:40 PM