Portuguese Native Breed Goats as Packer Prospects!
(03-25-2023, 05:57 PM)Charlie Horse Wrote: THose look like they're going to be great pack goats. Good find. I'll be interested to hear how they do in the future. I have some floppy ear goats and they're some of my best. Its all about the personality. Even short legs dont stop an enthusiastic goat!

Thanks Charlie Horse, I'll update the thread as they grow, We're hoping to get a couple more this week of a different native breed.

(03-26-2023, 06:56 AM)Nanno Wrote: I think your goats look wonderful! Droopy ears do not rule them out as working goats! I intentionally cross my Alpines with long-eared Nubians because I like the milder Nubian personalities, the extra muscling, and better feet and legs that the Nubians typically have. I also hike in warm temperatures a lot and the large ears are probably a goat's best means of keeping cool. My crosses seem to have more endurance and recover more quickly when hiking in hot weather than the pure Swiss breeds. The thinner, sleeker coats also help keep them cooler. I think you're fellas will do just grand!

I think choosing from your native breeds was a wise decision. Hardiness in your environment is more important than almost anything else. Your goat can't pack and won't even be happy or healthy at home if his genetics are not suited to your area.

Best of luck with your packgoat adventures! Keep us updated on your progress!

Thank you so much for the reassurance, Nanno! I must say when we took them out yesterday it was rather warm and I did find myself thinking that it's a good job they do have those ears to help keep them cool. Summers here can be pretty hot and dusty.

We're already seeing a big difference in their personalities. The black one is very clever and loves to climb and push himself, walking in step with us all the way. The blonde one is considerably less clever and lags behind a lot, running to catch up when he realises how far ahead we've got, and getting his head stuck in things. But then again he's a bigger, stronger boy, so their pros and cons even out! I'm so curious to see how a couple more goats will change the dynamic and how their natural hierarchy will develop.

I'll keep the thread updated with pictures! :-)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Portuguese Native Breed Goats as Packer Prospects! - by CaminhoDeCabras - 03-27-2023, 01:00 AM