Protocol for the sniffles
I know I'm not as experienced as a lot of you; but this is what I did when one of my goats got a cold or something minor like that.

I made sure the shelter was dry and semi clean, unclean and un dry shelters may make the cold manifest into something like pneumonia. I then fed them a lot of vitamin A, like; carrots, spinach and sweet potatoes, occasionally spiced up with one teaspoon of paprika. Garlic, I read, also helps. Pushing fluids, just as you would with a human, is really important. The juice of a large lemon mixed with 1 teaspoon of warm water and 1 tablespoon of honey. (I doubt the exact mix matters much) And I find it helps their breathing if you clean their nostrils.

Avoid giving antibiotics for something small. I know for a fact (As it happened to me before) that if you give them antibiotics unnecessarily or even just regularly, your goat can create an immunity against them, hindering their use when you need them most. (Colds are viral by nature; not caused by bacteria, and thats what antibiotics attack.) (Trust me; I realize that you said IF it gets worse :p I'm just warning (Unnecessarily) because I don't want the thing that happened to me, happen to you.)

I found this usually got rid of a cold in a week and a half depending on how severe it was. The sniffles; probably in no time.
[Image: f1e9hc.jpg]

Goats: The animal that never gives up.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. And no, I'm not a black sheep to they’re white; I'm a goat to they’re sheep.

Messages In This Thread
Protocol for the sniffles - by Nanno - 07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Protocol for the sniffles - by Reckless - 07-21-2014, 03:05 PM
RE: Protocol for the sniffles - by Nanno - 07-21-2014, 08:27 PM
RE: Protocol for the sniffles - by Charlie Horse - 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM