training tricks
I'm trying to teach targeting my hand as a starting point to training Ash and Connie.  They picked up "touch right hand with nose=treat from left hand" very quickly. I say "Hand" each time I wanted them to do it, and instead of clicking to mark the behavior I say "good!".  It worked very well. 

Now they want to nuzzle my hand all the time. I haven't trained tricks for goats, only manners, which I expect without treats as rewards. I don't mind goats nuzzling me gently as a general rule, but they're trying to do the trick to get a treat. I want to teach them that doing tricks for me when I'm not asking it might get a smile, but I'm not always going to have the treat bag for them for tricks. For a dog, "ring bell=go outside" is one I want them to do any time they want so they won't pee in my house. I don't need a goat to carry or pull or dance on their hind legs every time they see me just because they want a treat. 

Do I just ignore them for doing a trick if I'm not asking them to do it? or should I acknowledge in some way?

Messages In This Thread
training tricks - by dragonmaker - 11-12-2021, 09:10 AM
RE: training tricks - by Nanno - 11-12-2021, 09:33 AM
RE: training tricks - by dragonmaker - 11-12-2021, 01:59 PM