2nd 2021 NAPgA Rendezvous in Slim Buttes, SD!
What a great account, Nan. I have to add Nan and.Phil did a fantastic job finding a beautiful and interesting place for this rendezvous and we hope they'll organize and pull off a few more of these now and.then. We.did learn an important lesson, something I've heard Curtis King hammer on more than once. Take enough water! Now Robert and I know that "enough water" means two to three times what you think you will need. We took 4 small bottles of water with us but things happen. With the unexpected extra time of the hike, it was not enough, and it was a terrible burden to put on my fellow hikers to share their water to make it back to camp. We had some sweet generous fellow hikers to do so which I'm sure put a burden on them. Apparently dehydration can be the cause of.the severe Charlie muscles I had in the big muscles. Never had them like that in my life. Would I do it again? Well, I never have been very bright so the answer is YES!!

And I sure was proud of our little Blackie. Without much conditioning and being a "flatlander" like us, he handled it like a champ. For most part he remembered the "behind.me" command I taught him almost 2 years ago and haven't practiced since. But once the charlie horses started.to take me downhill,  I couldn't enforce it anymore and he took lead. I figured he'd charge ahead to be with the other goats and pay us little attention. He would.stay ahead about 3 or 4 lengths, then stop, look back at us and wait for us to catch up a little. Such a devoted boy. Just wish he wasn't so jealous of our other goats getting close to us. It was a little disappointing leaving Butterscotch behind due to the injuries Blackie had done to him. Butterscotch is small but normally a very willing packer and follower.

Nan and Blackie were my heroes the last mile or so. Nan kind of led Blackie while he had to pull my bulk up and down hills the last mile or so.

But the bottom line is, the old.lady (me) made it thru. Hubby even more so. So let it not be said we have too much "snow on the mountain" to do these hikes. We have not turned gray but rather PLATINUM BLOND!!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2nd 2021 NAPgA Rendezvous in Slim Buttes, SD! - by blackie's maiden - 10-02-2021, 01:05 PM