Help! My goat won't get up!
We have a 5yr old Sannen. My son has been feeding him this week morning and night and I have been going out occasionally in the middle of the day to check on things and make sure they have enough water. My goat loves to lounge and lay his head back to rest on his horns, so when I went out in the middle of the day and would see him lay there, I didn't think much of it. Some of the other goats (we have 4 more) would be laying down too.

Yesterday morning I went out to feed and take him on a walk and noticed he didn't come for the food like the rest of them. I could not get him to stand up. I took all of the other goats out of the pen. He looked a bit skinny. I feed him hay which he ate, water with electrolytes which he drank and some calf manna and alfa pellets that he also ate. I gave him some digestzen and wild orange essential oil w/ some sugar water for an upset stomach. He loved it. His temp read 101 which I figure is close enough to normal, his respiration is normal (until I try to move him then he breaths more heavily), his rumen sounds good 1-2 sounds per min. He seems alert and responsive. I rubbed down his legs, shoulders, neck, back. Nothing seems broken or wounded. He's not wheezy sounding and he is not bloated. I also gave him some apple cider vinegar in case of kidney stones, but I'm not sure if it's that because he has not made any noise to show his discomfort.

Problem is I can't get him to stand up. Any ideas?

My husband said all the goats ate some thistle weed he was digging out of the ground a few days ago. Could that have made him sick?

Thank you for your help

Gretchen

Messages In This Thread
Help! My goat won't get up! - by Gretchen Buhler - 07-10-2014, 10:02 AM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by Nanno - 07-10-2014, 05:18 PM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by Teckelhut - 07-10-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Help! My goat won't get up! - by oldfarmer - 10-24-2014, 11:11 AM